How do I keep my broiler chicks alive and happy as pets?

Seminolewind, you sound so compassionate just like me. I want to build up a farm and dealing with death goes along with having animals I guess. This is the first time I've had to deal with owning a pet with problems. It is also like mourning something that hasn't died. I think I will be happy about it and love them as much as possible. Last night I took their food out for a few hours and put some food in and they attacked it like nothing I've ever seen. It must be awful to be hungry and not eat like we do with dieting. I guess it is like having the munchies and never feeling full.

Silkiechicken, thank you for your quick reply. I changed my name to chickenbutt. I like that name better and I don't have my password email here at work. I did order some *real* pet chickens last night to add to them. Being excited for new chicks will take the edge off. I think I will keep them for as long as I can and make them happy. I did send out feelers for chicken eaters this morning but I don't feel good about it now.

ZuniBee, that is too bad about your chicken. I tried asking about the breed and they said Tyson. I said oh is Tyson also a breed name for the brand of chickens and he said no they are just for Tyson. I guess they don't *matter* enough to have a breed. I'm also upset that they are bred to be meat birds. I overthink everything and I don't eat animals. I feel good about saving them and giving them a good life but I'm so mad at people for not letting the animals have a good life.

Buckbeak, thanks for the advice. I won't be eating them and I would hate myself if someone else ate them so I'll let them free range and won't feed them as much. All week I had a self feeder and if they weren't sleeping, drinking, or pooping they were eating at leasure. I took the food out last night for a few hours and then fed them and they went crazy! They are usually so laid back. I know they'll be hungry but it is for their own good.

I did order some good laying chicks and they'll be coming in the mail soon. If I'm going to be a farmer I'll have to get used to burying animals. My grandparents and uncle and anyone with animals in my family all have pet graveyards. That is just how it is going to be. When you love someone there is always the inevetibility to be sad about them.

Katie in VA

Chickenbutt (
roll.png
), what kind of show chicken did you order? From where? Just wanna know! I'm nosey. Congrats!
wee.gif

Hai how long did ur broiler chicken grew. I have 3 broiler chickens 9 weeks old and they look pretty active. I feed them kitchen scraps, rice, bajra etc. I want to keep them as a pet and I want them to survive for a longer time too. Please share ur experience.

I got two chicks last month and they are Cornish X meat birds. I’m doing everything I can and so far it’s been working, they are a little bit on the skinny side. I’m hoping they will get to at least egg laying age and mabby more than a year! I really love them, they are the nicest store-bought chicks! other than me hatching eggs!

Back
Top Bottom