How do I keep my coop clean?

I have 4 coops, this is a pic of the largest one (and my favorite because it is very easy to clean). I use PDZ on the roosting boxes (which I clean every day with a scoop) Currently there are 19 adult chickens living in this coop so there is a lot of poop produced overnight and this is why I clean it every day because I figure that it is better to spend a little time cleaning it every morning than a long time every week.
I also use koopclean on the floor (it is a mixture of chopped hay/straw/PDZ) which I replace 3 or 4 times a year.
Roosting boxes and PDZ are very good to keep your coop clean, if you are building a coop take them into consideration.
Gorgeous coop! I may switch over my area under the roosts to PDZ. LOVE koopclean too.

PDZ and poop boards were the best suggestions I gleaned from BYC when researching what i wanted/needed in a coop. I use cafeteria trays on the poop boards cause my coop is not a walk-in model. It is elevated and I can easily reach in a lift the trays down to sift and clean. Even with the high temps and humidity this summer there has been no smell.

I think I am going to do some re-cooping! I am going to add another window and a fan! I am going to put something to catch their poop under their roost. Do you suggest hay/straw or pine shavings on the floor of the coop? I am going to do the sand/PDZ for the poop catchings.

Sand!

I changed from shaving to sand and I won't go back. Easy to clean and keeps them cooler in the summer down here in the south. Scoop it like kitty litter. Plus the sand helps absorb the moisture, saving your flooring.

This does help so much! I keep the doors open from about 6:30 am until 9/10 pm so they are outside all day! (unless its raining and then they usually stay in the coop) I think the roof isn't very good so i think water just naturally gets in there and then makes the pine shavings just get really gross! It drives me nuts, because I feel so bad for them. I don't want to be a bad chicken mamma! haha
There's your main problem right there.
With chickens, wet = stink.

Good articles on Ventilation and Space linked in my signature.

Poop boards https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...raphic-gross-poop-pictures/1100#post_13179595

Even with a bone dry coop bedding, PDZ roost board, and lots of ventilation..... in this hot humid weather, chicken poop stinks.

Our coop roof leaked a bit too (it's not the best quality, we bought it online) so we covered it with a tarp and there haven't been any problems with leaking. It's been raining like crazy too. It's a quick inexpensive fix, although it doesn't look the best.

For those who use sand, what kind of scoop do you use to get the poop out? I've Tryed a cat litter scoop but it's too small and very tedious since I have a large coop.

Back
Top Bottom