How do I keep my goats out of the chicken house?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, Dec 20, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Well we are having a problem. I know the goats are not to eat chicken feed, because it could kill them. However every time we let them out they sneak into the chicken house, I hate not letting them out they love running around investigating the farm, and I hate not letting the chickens out they need some fresh air too! But no matter how little we open the door (sliding door) the goats get in. We tried opening the small coop door but there is too much snow there now.
    Any one else having this problem? Any solution other then, Don't let them out?
    Melissa

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Cut a little sliding (up & down or side to side) door in the normal sliding door that's too small for the goats to get through.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    How about removing the snow in front of the little door? [​IMG]

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I cut a piece of cattle panel and place it in the door and it keep the goats out of mine. Just make it where it fits in the door where you can either tie it or block it where the goats cant move it. Thats what I did.

5. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I've got the same issue. I finally decided to put feed in the chicken feeder in the evenings and then closing the door.

I have a light on a timer so it goes on at 4am... by the time I go out there at 6:45am, they're usually done with the food....

I then just scatter food on the ground for them and the goats pretty much leave the chicken food alone....

I have pygmies, so they can get thru pretty much any small opening....

good luck

[​IMG]

6. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    In the human size door to the coop, we put in a small door like a dogie door. I guess you would call it a chickie door. The little door has hinges on top and hooks on bottom so I can latch it at night. In the morning I flip it up and hook it with a bungi cord to keep it open. Those pesky goats look in, but thats all.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by