How do I keep other chickens out of my chicken feed?

BantamFan4Life

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Pyeongtaek, South Korea
Okay, so my dad has 15 chickens in his own coop and I have a smaller coop with 6 chickens in it. We both free-range our chickens in the same yard but when I let mine out of my coop my dad's chickens run over come in my food and eat all of it! How do I fix this without putting fences? Thanks!

Okay, so my dad has 15 chickens in his own coop and I have a smaller coop with 6 chickens in it. We both free-range our chickens in the same yard but when I let mine out of my coop my dad's chickens run over come in my food and eat all of it! How do I fix this without putting fences? Thanks!

What breeds do you both have?

I'm thinking I would split the cost of feed instead of worrying about his eating your feed, and yours eating his feed.

If you have 21 chickens total - you should pay for 35% of the feed bill.

Each bag averaging around $15 - you would pay $5.25 a bag and he would pay $9.75. That's what I would do.. Especially if the birds get along.

That is going by the assumption that you either have 21 standard birds or 21 bantam birds, and each bird eats the same amount of feed. ;)

That's what they do. Mine did the same thing. Their feeder was full and they went and ate all the baby feed and all the bantam feed and theirs was always full. You could free range at different times of the day or feed them before you let them out and again in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom