How do I keep the chicken's off my deck?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by whathaveidone, May 17, 2009.

1. whathaveidone

whathaveidone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hello,

We've got 16 pullet layers that we are free ranging. They have the run of our 2+ acres and generally are just fun to watch as they run around the yard.

One problem: They like to hang out on our deck. And while there, they do what chickens do... do do.

Any thoughts about how to train them to stay off? We've been chasing them off, sending the dog after them (he's a gentle giant and wouldn't hurt a feather, but he likes to round them up - useful when I need to gather them up during the day [​IMG] ). I've turned the hose on them (It's stays on the deck now to spray the poop off!).

Any thoughts? The deck is at ground level and can't be gated.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I have the same problem but add some Peacocks. When I had Pygmy Goats they were on the deck too. If I left the door open, something other than a human would be in the kitchen.

I think the only solution to to keep them inside a pen.
    I am making a huge run over my old horse manure pile. They are always scrathing there for worms so....??? why not? I built the big hen house next to the manure pile for the same idea, to add a huge run.
    I do think they will hate my guts for awhile [​IMG]

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Yeah if they know they should not be there thats where they go. I suggest pressure washer. Mine come into the garage if I leave the door open and I am sure I couldnt drive them in there if I wanted to

4. space40023

space40023 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Fisherville,Ky
    Try useing a garden hose, the chicks can be persistent but hang in there you'll win in the end..

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I used a hose on one of my hens that was beating up my pullets. Every time I caught her I sprayed her with the hose. It caught her by surprise. She quit beating them up.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I bought this really rough textured door mat hoping it would keep the ducks away from the patio door. I think they like the way it feels on their feet [​IMG]

7. tls759

tls759 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Molalla, Oregon
    My Mom bought a couple scare crow sprinklers to put in her garden beds, they were scratching up the seeds [​IMG] The sprinklers are motion activated and work really well, but you have to be careful too or you'll get soaked!

8. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Quote:Oh! What a good idea!!

9. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I have a spray bottle and when they get on my back porch, I spray the water next to them and they go running.

They are not on my back porch very often thank goodness.

10. LauraM

LauraM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Great ideas! My chickens have discovered my back door (covered back porch) as well. They also seem to like the bristle-y door mat. I don't really want to step outside in a pile of chicken poop all the time. My dog seems to like their company when he is there due to rain though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by