1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I keep the CROWS out of my yard?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StephanieD, Mar 22, 2011.

1. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I have 5 chickens and 4 chicks (8 days old) and the CROWS will not stay out of our yard. They even have the nerve to go INSIDE the coop and get a drink of water or a nibble. I am afraid they are going to try to get one of the chicks during their outings. Any ideas how to keep the crows away? GET A SCARECROW???? [​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I can't help you on how to get rid of them. I can tell you that they can be helpful...for a price. They will steal eggs and chicks but they will chase hawks away too. I have far more problems with hawks taking adult birds than from crows.

[​IMG] from a neighbor [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    You DO need to watch the crows around the tiny ones, but crows are GREAT for running the hawks off.
    We feed the crows here. [​IMG]
    How's that for the worst answer to a question ever? You're asking how to get rid of them and I'm encouraging you to feed them...[​IMG]

4. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Send your crows to me... I will gladly feed them to keep them around so they keep the hawks away from my girls. I had a lot of crows last year and they worked their butts off... then winter hit, and haven't seen a one. I can't wait for them to come back. I have corn all ready for them.

D

5. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree, they are great to have around to deter the hawks. I have seen them run them off before.

6. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Well you all have a good point about the hawks, we have many and they fly all around our house. I did not know that crows chased off hawks!!

I spend most of the time outside with the chicks when they are out there anyways cause we have a buff rock (I think) that is the queen of the coop and she does not like this momma or her babies.

Thanks everyone, I will just keep my eye out for them. BTW- the neighbors probably think I'm crazy cause anytime I see the crows outside I run out the door screaming "shoo shoo"!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by