How do I keep water from freezing in winter?

I guess the heated water idea's work great if you only have a few bird's like in one coop.I Have alway's have several coops some with numerous pens.I basicaly spent 3 Cold winter's breaking Water and having extra's sitting inside.They do have the heated base's but they are quite pricey I think and would probably be best on those Big metal water's I dunno. Some of homemade one's here may work I would be careful though depend's on your coop flooring and bedding etc.The heating pad idea seems good since it is an enclosed product to start with.I dunno Im always weary.I had a brooder fire once and grrrrrr never wanna see anything like that again. Hope you can find a good solution it is a lot of work winter for sure.

I got a 1 1/2 gallon heated dog bowl at Wal Mart.com for under $20. Had it shipped site to store for free shipping. Chew proof cord. Will set up on a few bricks to keep out of the shavings.

I have a friend in Montana who has about 20 chickens in a large, uninsulated coop. There is maybe one heat lamp in there when it gets to -20F or below. She uses a small plastic cooler, like the ones for 6-12 cans, as a waterer, just refills it daily. It is inside the coop, but the hens know that and it never freezes.

You may find one or two in a thrift store or at a yard sale.

Having a larger volume of water will allow it to retain heat better to keep from freezing. Also insulating your waterer will help a lot.
In my case I have 2.5 gal water jugs with nipples in the bottom, wrapped in some insulation to help prevent heat exchange. As a last resort I also made a cookie tin water heater that I can plug in if it really drops down for a long period of time.

I bought one of the heated plastic poultry waterers. Got it from Jeffers. Hoping it will work ok this winter. Kind of hard to not spill water as it's bottom filling and you have to hold it up and fill at the same time.Not great filling with a hose so not sure how it will work with a bucket and funnel!!! I think they need to redesign it to be top filling for convenience. Also it's got a bit of a flimsy plastic base for the price.

Amazon.com $13.29. 1 gallon heated water dish. It has an automatic thermostat so only turns on at 48 degrees or below. Saves money and time ice breaking.

56181_dsc00677.jpg

Last edited:
we were just dealing with this very thing the last few days. my DH told me he had a solution for when he got home from out of town and today we went shopping. he walked to the aquarium section picked up a fish tank heater for 12 dollars and told me that is what was going inside the chicken waterer, I kind of looked at him a little weird and so when we got home he went to the coop took the 5 gallon waterer and drilled a hole on the top, I was going to kill him but then saw him put the wire through an open nipple plug and push it through the whole he grabbed non toxic sealant and sealed it from the inside and then sealed it from the outside. well he tells me he is done and I said well not really they can peck at the wire you know!! so he said no problem, he picked up some flexible hose pushed the plug wire through. He filled the waterer and I was expecting it to leak but no all is good, he plugged it in and the water is heated and all good to go. the chicken enjoyed it today cause it was chilly and the water was about 76C give or take a couple degrees. I think because he has to do the other waterer I am going to take pics and post. I think its a clever idea to keeping the water form freezing :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom