How do i know if coccidiosis turns into necrotic entritis and if so how do you cure it?

I had 4 pullets with coccidiosis when they were younger. They had bloody poop or intestinal lining but acted normal, I treated with Corid. They seemed better for a couple days, but then it was back, I gave them more Corid. They tested neg for coccidiosis at that point. I ended up deciding to treat with an antibiotic thinking it could be enteritis & they were good to go after that. So I assume it was enteritis, but I don't actually know. One now lays rippled eggs & one has had extremely (abnormally so) watery poop since the incident. That also leads me to believe it may have been enteritis.

Buuuut, with that said - finish the full treatment (5-7 days) & don't panic till that's done. It's probably just coccidia & they'll be fine after treatment. Give them a probiotic or vitamins after they finish the treatment, something with Thiamine in it (I think it's in the Vit B's?).

ETA: I think you can only test for enteritis with a necropsy or a gram stain - but that's only what I read, I'm no expert by any means.
Ok, thank you! Should I give the vet a stool sample to test for coccidiosis after treatment then? And if it tests negative and they still have bloody diarrhea should I give them antibiotics?

I just knew it wasn't Cocci because she recovered for a few days, then just wasn't quite right. Don't jump to use antibiotics. You'll know if someone is still sick. Idk if vet will help you...some will. Let me know though if you get to that point.

Also can't really find oxytetracycline either. In the case that I would need antibiotics for them, would enrotex work?

Also can't really find oxytetracycline either. In the case that I would need antibiotics for them, would enrotex work?
Not sure, as I'm not familiar with that. Antibiotics can be hard to come by. If you have a good relationship with a vet, that's a good thing.

Antibiotics should be a last resort really. They're expensive and don't last forever, as well as being hard to come by. If it looks like your flock is improving with the Amprol, just keep a close watch, as they should eventually develop natural immunity.

Antibiotics should be a last resort really. They're expensive and don't last forever, as well as being hard to come by. If it looks like your flock is improving with the Amprol, just keep a close watch, as they should eventually develop natural immunity.
Ok! Yeah I checked the prices and they are really expensive. My chickens are not doing any worse so hopefully i won't need to buy any. Thank you so much for your help

Ok! Yeah I checked the prices and they are really expensive. My chickens are not doing any worse so hopefully i won't need to buy any. Thank you so much for your help
Good luck! You'll be fine. :) If you do have to get antibiotics though, they do last a long time, a year past expiration date, sometimes more. And you don't normally need to use much.

Back
Top Bottom