1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do I know if eggs are fertile and can a turkey lay 2 eggs a day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by freshegg, Jan 24, 2009.

1. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I have 2 turkeys and 1 has a beard so Im assuming its a tom well about 5 weeks ago I started getting an egg a day now for 3 days Im getting 2 eggs a day. so do I have 2 hens which 1 has a beard or is 2 eggs a day common. I was thinking of buying a incubator or giving a few away for someone to test.I am clueless to incubating.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Can you post a pic of your turkeys!? A recent pic? We might be able to tell you if you have a tom and a hen...or 2hens.

3. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    I want to know the real answer here! I hope someone with turkey sense (hmmm that doesn't sound good) answers up. I know that some breeds the hens do get a small beard, well at least I have heard that... but I am thinking that if you have a bird that lays 2 eggs a day, I would want a whole flock of those! [​IMG]

4. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    well I only got the 2 eggs a day 3 days straight but have gotten 1 egg aday for weeks. I have to get pics of the birds today. I did learn how to tell if they are fertile and they are not assuming they would have the bullseye like a chicken egg but maybe tom assuming hes a tom is too young or cold. I havent seen them doing any deeds but maybe in the coop is what I thought. I read 15% of hens have beards.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Turkey hens can have beards. If you have turkey hen that consistanly layes 2 eggs a day call Guiness book of world records.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by