how do i know if I have a roo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by clucksbc, Aug 9, 2011.

1. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    Hello Hello...Greetings from hope canada..[​IMG]
    well...my flock is slowely growing...but unfortunatly...have turned out to be having to many roo's''
    one day i picked up a 4 1/2 month silkie.from on place..and 3 3 months old. from a lovely family.....i picked my two...but then...my reddy..seemed concerned about friends leaving...and I didn't have the heart to leave it...They had two austorps...one had gone brody and had just hatch out one that day...so i payed a deposit...and waited for my lovely black beauies...
    2 weeks later it was confirmed..I had a .Mr roo...it is so sweet in nature..That I don't regret taking it...but then the black spoted one.which i believe is a silver speckled hamburg...and gets more beautiful every day started crowing...
    the white silkie...i named miss bute right off...because...is so georgeous...but is a bit bossey...and seems to stick its beak in the middle of things...so very amusing to whatch...i am starting to worry is a rooster too....goodness...but now i like them all too much
    I also picked up a lovely bantum barred cochin i had thought my third one might have been a cochin...because has a couple feathers on the leg...but no more have come in..so i don.t know what she is...
    I went back to get the austorps...but....the sweet girl...wanted to keep one...so i left with mom and two chicks...i think they may be silkies though...have 5 toes...though one is kinda white with a lovely blackish pattern so i don;t know what it is...the other is black with brown tinge..(they said if one was a rooster they would take it back)
    I am looking at my silke...and thinking more and more she may be a rooster...how do i know for sure???would explain the dominance...
    so far...i have yet to experience the joy of a golden egg...
    thanks for taking the time to listen...
    just wanted to intoduce me and my flock [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from ny

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] from WA. [​IMG]

4. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Greetings from South Carolina! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy it here.

5. mick&cori

mick&cori Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] from Indiana.

Post some pics of what you have and we can do the best to help you figure out rooster or hens. [​IMG]

6. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    Wow replys!! [​IMG]
    thanks for being so friendly...
    will work on the pics...though i have cleaned up to well and hidden the camera ...
    this place definately seems like...and informative neighbourhood

7. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Welcome from Indiana!! [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! Glad you joined the board! The folks on here have helped me a lot on gender identification of some of mine! You might get the best result if you post on the What Breed or Gender is This? tab - seems like dozens of people a day post their gender/breed pics there and get quick results! You will have to wait until you've posted a cetain number of posts (10 I think???) before you can post a pic! But they go fast! Anyay, great to meet you and have at BYC!! [​IMG]

9. chickens are great 12

chickens are great 12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi and welcome! Well, if you are trying to tell if it is a rooster whens its a chick, it is very hard. What breed are you trying to tell if its a rooster? When the rooster or hen gets to be 5-6 months old, he (rooster) will crow. While she, will just bock. Also, sometimes the comb tells you, but not always. Well anyways, [​IMG] hope you find out if its a rooster!!! [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I agree you will need to post a in the What gender? section. More folks will see it there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by