How do I know if my chickens are getting enough to eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hokiepaws, Aug 30, 2013.

1. hokiepaws

hokiepaws New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    I Have 2 Each follwing Breeds, Auatralorp, Barred Rock, EasterEgger,Speckled Sussex, Buff Brahma (Total 10) They Will Be 20 Week Monday. I Have Read 17-24 Weeks To Start Laying, FiguredWith The Different Breeds I Would Have AtleasT One Hen On The EarLy Side. They Eat Grower/Finisher Crumbles, Kitchen Scraps Everyday, And Free Range A Few Times A Week. TheyDo Finish The Crumbles I GivE In The Am, But I Was CautionedAgainst OFfering Food Constantly For RiSk Of.attracting Predators.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Many if not most people here offer feed free choice. They don't eat at night, so some people put it up at night to prevent rats/mice from getting into it. I've actually never read of it attracting any other animals, except wild birds.

3. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    I leave my chicken food out 24/7, and all it's ever attracted is jays, which gives the chickens something to chase. I wouldn't worry about your food attracting anything bad, but putting it away at night wouldn't hurt.

4. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I too offer free choice food but I put it away at night. My girls free range all day and don't eat a lot of the layer crumble but I keep it out for them in the event their is a shortage of bugs, worms, lizards or baby snakes. Plus they get some sort of treat every evening. I have also wondered if they were getting enough to eat but their weight has held steady and they lay regularly so something is right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by