How do I know if my quail are too fat?

FowlFriend

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Central Coast, CA
I have 2 pet Coturnix quail we hatched as a science project. They eat unmedicated quail chow, mealworms, bugs and crushed egg shells. Recently I've had 2 people remark that they look fat! Hrmph. They have a large enclosure and don't seem to have any trouble running around at all. I do keep food in their cage at all times and refill several times a day (they also flick it everywhere!)

I'm not going to eat them or sell them, they're ours till they die. However I don't want them to be unhealthy! How in the world will I know if they're too fat? Do they self-regulate on food or eat even when they're not hungry, like humans?
tongue.png

I had a male bw get loose the other day he made it to the privacy fence paused for a moment on the post looked back at the female and then could not get his butt through the pickets on the fence
smile.png
he is big but does not look too fat to me

Also, winters coming on. Animals will naturally pack in a little extra for the winter months.
Right now my Cat and Dogs, Chickens, Ducks and eating just a little more than normal. So I imagine the Coturnix are also eating just a bit more.

Perfectly normal. Helps keep them warm.

I personally don't think Mother Nature will go so far as to let our pet quail get too fat........... I hope I don't encounter having to give my birds Lipitor some day.....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom