How do I know they are getting enough to eat

momofdrew

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Rochester,New Hampshire
I let my birds free range for up to 6 hours a day in a half acre yard... they also have free choise grower in pen and coop and I have just put down free choise crushed shell in their pen and I give them house scraps and yogurt every week...
how do I know they are eating properly???...They are 6 month old silkies... they dont go through much grower...their droppings seem fine...

Pam

I'll bet they are doing just fine. Pick them up and feel their crops. You'll find it by just running your hand across their upper chest. It should feel firm. Most days I can see the crops of mine without picking them up, but I have piglets cleverly disguised as chickens.

should the crops always feel full? I too wonder how to tell if I'm feeding enough or too much. Like, if you feed and all the feed is gone quickly, I would think you would want to give more. Then if you feed and notice that a lot is left over, you've given them enough/too much. Will they overeat?

Quote:
It should feel firm, but pliable. Of course it's not always going to be full, but if you feel it in the evening after they've had plenty of opportunity to eat that day (or free-range, as mine do) you should be able to feel it.

Well, I have to say, after ranging in the yard, the Delightful Dozen have the most impressive crops I have seen outside of hand fed cockatiels. I am surprised they can stand still without falling forward. The crops absolutly bulge - but not all the girls show the same profile. My RIR have crops that are very prominent, while the EEs have to be in just the right postion for me to see the full crop.
They peck and scratch and peck and scratch all over the yard. We feed all kinds of good stuff all day and the layer pellets are always available. The eggs are popping out quite regularly and even the BR have gotten into the egg business finally.
I think by watching your hens you will get a feel for how well fed they are. Mine are out in the yard 2 - 6 hours each afternoon and are doing quite well.

Thanks all
These birds are so fluffy it's hard to tell if they are putting on weight...being new to this I don't know how they are supposed to feel when I pick them up...
Pam

Quote:
I know! My darling buffy looks as fat as she can be, but it's all feathers! My friend's dog is the same way. My birds are very greedy, so I know they get enough. They've eaten may pounds of my tomatoes, they've got all the bigs they can eat, grass, garden scraps.. the loot from their garden burglary, bread.. I go through a 2-3 loaves each week.

make your own bread, if it's possible, mine like homemade bread better. guess cause it crumbles easier, they dun have to tear it away, just break off a chunk from the chicken running away with it all. lol
besides, homemade is healthier, for both you and the birds, and it's way cheaper.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom