How do I make my chicks as friendly as possible?

Nan5634

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have some chicks that I got 2 weeks ago and I want to make them as friendly as the my chicken Nutmeg. She's my hen and when I'm outside she let's me hold her and then she sticks around me. She even lays down next to me if I sit down. When I let the chicks out I especially want my Golden Sebright and my white Bantam to do that. (Currently none of our bantams let me catch them)(Except with a net) javascript:insert_text('
D.gif
', '');
D.gif
Anyway any tips to help me have a whole group of chickies follow me around? (Oh yeah I'm getting more today!)
jumpy.gif
:weee

My tool for this is kids. My little brother and sister kept giving all of they're attention to only 2 chicks and I would get mad at them because I thoought they were annoying the chicks but I found out that chicks love every ounce of attention they get. And now those to chicks are the most tame ones in the flock. They come to me when I call them and the do everything your hen does. So my advice to u is, give all of your chicks a lot of attention.

Mine were kept in a brooder in my living room so they saw pets walking by heard alot of talking heard the Tv. Being in a high traffic area as well as being picked up and cuddled and talked to everyday is the key.

YEah that will do it. I made a mistake with my RIR hens. Scarlett my favorite is such a sweetie and will come to me and let me hold her and pet her. She got more attention than the other 2 did and now that they are grown it really makes a difference. The more you work one on one with them or give them lots of attention is the key to sweet chicks.

It is very true that with girl, the more attention early on, the sweeter and more docile they will be as adults. BUT, they will got through a teenage thing right before they start to lay, and then as soon as that first egg pops out, they are even sweeter than before.

Now with the boys, it is believed that the more they are handled when young, the more aggressive they are when older. I have only raised one rooster and that is exactly what happened. He was my favorite "girl" and so got lots of attention. When "she" turned into a "he", we still gave him attention but around 8 months of age, he got VERY aggressive and off he went to the feed store. So our very limited experience has borne out the belief.

Good luck! Give them tons of affection and they will return the favor!!

Thanks and keep on bring the info!!!! Ho w about games you can play with your chick. I put a piece of hay(the pieces with tassels) and they peck and it and enjoy playing with it. Any other ideas?
jumpy.gif
:bun

Interesting....Ese got more attention than Gracie because he sought it...and he can be a little sh@@@@T when he wants to be....but at the same time he will act more like my baby than Gracie and want all the loving and cuddling....I see Gracie's action as looking for the best providing rooster and Ese's as I'm the competing providing rooster...yet he still snuggles more than gracie to this day.... (bantam cochins..) I could definately see how a female would be if it weren't for the "man" in her life....but he takes such goood care of the chicks and works 8 days a week...he's the hardest working rooster in the rooster business

My chicks got into my yarn today when I had them loose in the living room. One chick got it and ran, the others all followed....trailing the yarn behind them. I cut them a piece and they had such a blast with it (while I supervised of course) They must have thought it was a worm, silly chicks. They even played tug of war with it. so much fun

Im trying to handle them a little at a time or just slowly let my hand hang down in the box. THere is just one that will walk up to me when I walk up to the box, lets me pick it right up and loves its neck rubbed. I dont want to loose them if they get out later on, hoping I can get them to come to me.

Wear a ring when you do that. For some odd reason beyond my bird brain understanding. They are extremely attracted to gold. I have a gold ring with two little gold balls on it in one hand and an aquamarine on the other. As soon as my hand goes into the brooder to feed/water/pet they come running. I like to play chase the ring with them.
Being careful not to let them jog the stone loose.
Of course being Buff Orpingtons make them really sweet. They are little toddlers but will fall asleep on my lap. But all by little guys Buffs/EE's/Barbanter/Rocks/and ?'s just love the ring.

Good Luck!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom