how do i make my coop more insulated?

Bbghast

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
Tulare California usa.
so rn for a coop i have is a large dog cage with two layers of tarps on it covering all the walls and roof completely. plus the dog cage came with a tarp roof already (so the roof of the coop has three layers). but i found out my rooster got some frost bite and i dont want this to happen again or for his frost bite to get worse before he can heal from it. i cant really afford a actual coop, you know the wooden ones. and i do have a heat lamp but its been raining and am afraid this will ruin the heat lamp. plus the nearest place to even connect the heat lamp is ten feet away. i was thinking maybe i should get a extension cord and some outdoor tape to waterproof it? or maybe i should get a wooden box and attach it on the roost where they sleep (which is a long wooden stake that goes through two of the coops walls) so they can have a bit more shelter? btw i live in the central valley of California. it never snows here and did not this year so yea its not that cold. and my hens have been perfectly fine. its only my rooster who got frost bite. anyways what should i do?

Last edited:
I thought you never had temps near 32°F?
If I am misremembering, then maybe he does have frostbite.
well its his comb that has frost bite. he is a bantam rooster and his comb is bigger than his head. so i think its his small size and the comb being too big for his blood to warm it up completely that gave him frost bite.

well its his comb that has frost bite. he is a bantam rooster and his comb is bigger than his head. so i think its his small size and the comb being too big for his blood to warm it up completely that gave him frost bite.
I'm the one who told you it looked like frostbite,
so then I asked if you had freezing temps and you said no.
It's not about how big a comb is, it's about the temps.

so rn for a coop i have is a large dog cage with two layers of tarps on it covering all the walls and roof completely. plus the dog cage came with a tarp roof already (so the roof of the coop has three layers). but i found out my rooster got some frost bite and i dont want this to happen again or for his frost bite to get worse before he can heal from it. i cant really afford a actual coop, you know the wooden ones. and i do have a heat lamp but its been raining and am afraid this will ruin the heat lamp. plus the nearest place to even connect the heat lamp is ten feet away. i was thinking maybe i should get a extension cord and some outdoor tape to waterproof it? or maybe i should get a wooden box and attach it on the roost where they sleep (which is a long wooden stake that goes through two of the coops walls) so they can have a bit more shelter? btw i live in the central valley of California. it never snows here and did not this year so yea its not that cold. and my hens have been perfectly fine. its only my rooster who got frost bite. anyways what should i do?
Your chickens need ventilation even in winter months. They can't get too hot nor can they get too cold. Weather hardy birds can withstand 40 degrees easy. They perch and huddle together for warmth. The ventilation best placed at top on each side so airflow goes in and out releasing any condensation from excrements aka poop and the heat they cause when they huddle. Without ventilation the coop will get condensation and cause them to get frostbite on feet and combs. Put a heavy layer of vasoline on the combs and waddles if you can do so safely. Have you ever felt the heat under a mamma hen or when getting eggs? Thats lots of heat. So say it rains and same as with if you get sweaty n wear glasses the glasses fog up, add cold cold weather to that and feels like your eyeballs freeze. This is what happens and the chickens get frostbite. Id keep the coop covered with a tarp only if its open all the way around and cold or if theres no tin or shingles on top to keep it from getting wet and leaking inside, I truly hope thia helps you, as for power I have a power strip hung on back of coop under the layer of tarp until I get the top covered with tin, the power runs from my house some 30 feet away. A good qualtiy drop cord and the case they sell that goes around the plug part if you have to use 2 is good to have. It is waterproof can be found at walmart in section with extension cords and usually are green in color. Have a blessed day and good luck with your babies. Im headed to see if I have any new babies to go with my ones in brooder.

Your chickens need ventilation even in winter months. They can't get too hot nor can they get too cold. Weather hardy birds can withstand 40 degrees easy. They perch and huddle together for warmth. The ventilation best placed at top on each side so airflow goes in and out releasing any condensation from excrements aka poop and the heat they cause when they huddle. Without ventilation the coop will get condensation and cause them to get frostbite on feet and combs. Put a heavy layer of vasoline on the combs and waddles if you can do so safely. Have you ever felt the heat under a mamma hen or when getting eggs? Thats lots of heat. So say it rains and same as with if you get sweaty n wear glasses the glasses fog up, add cold cold weather to that and feels like your eyeballs freeze. This is what happens and the chickens get frostbite. Id keep the coop covered with a tarp only if its open all the way around and cold or if theres no tin or shingles on top to keep it from getting wet and leaking inside, I truly hope thia helps you, as for power I have a power strip hung on back of coop under the layer of tarp until I get the top covered with tin, the power runs from my house some 30 feet away. A good qualtiy drop cord and the case they sell that goes around the plug part if you have to use 2 is good to have. It is waterproof can be found at walmart in section with extension cords and usually are green in color. Have a blessed day and good luck with your babies. Im headed to see if I have any new babies to go with my ones in brooder.
thank you a lot! i will be sure to make sure the coop is ventilated and get that cord from Walmart.

Back
Top Bottom