How do I manage a pieced together flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cajunrose, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Cajunrose

Cajunrose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    We are piecing together our flock from different places, different times. I have only ever gotten mine all at one time before and they were the same ages. We have some that are around a week old now, am getting some day olds tomorrow possibly, some week olds at the end of the week and new babies again in 8ish days. I know that's quite the menagerie but I'm trying to piece together my 'dream' flock. How do I manage temp when I only have 1 brooder? What about mixing the chicks that are older with younger..will there be a pecking order problem? What about adding babies from a they need to be separated from the flock? I am not sure I have the space to do that...would require more than one brooder I think. *sigh* I know I'm not the only one to do this...but I can't quite figure this out.

Thanks so much!
  2. luckydux

luckydux Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    I went through that myself and after much research I decided I must build more brooders. It was a pain and a lot of work in a short time but I didn't foresee a way around it.
    Looking back I know I made the right choice but if a person maybe had those very docile chicks it may have been feasible.

(Note)- I do not know if docile chicks exist :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by