How do I manage a rooster just hitting puberty : A Confluence

chookcomplex

Chirping
Oct 1, 2022
Main Objective: Minimise my rooster becoming antagonistic to me

Flock data:
2 Cream Legbar hens 42 weeks old Boss everyone around but not to the point of injury

1 Cream Legbar rooster 15 weeks old Has been docile but just yesterday has he been able to usurp the top hens and are about even in mettle. He tolerates me touching him but mostly if I have food and he can only stand about 10 seconds of behind held or 5 seconds being lifted before he protests. I have handraised him from hatch and touch him every time I feed him via hand.

Deceased:
1 Cream Legbar rooster 22 weeks old Father of my current rooster, died before my younger chickens were born. I raised him from 8 weeks to full grown. When he hit puberty, he became very territorial and every morning he would peck viciously at you until I held him in submission position then he would try the next day. His pecking aggression started around the time he started crowing and I put a no-crow collar on him. I tried changing my behaviour like not looking into his eye, not approaching quickly , letting him come to me but after 5 or 6 weeks, his aggression only got as good as 60% of the time he would want to fight you in the morning. I don't know if the aggression was his personality or my behaviour towards him were a major factor.

Right now, the pecking order is still in flux, the younger hens have yet to grow to full size and my roo has only started to succeed at challenging the top hens. I expect he will be on top soon.
Concern 1#: I'm worried if I start handling him which he doesn't really like that he will think I'm an enemy to be pecked.
Tensions are high because of the upset of the power balance so should I not do anything until this settles? His hormones are also starting to rage and he wants to mate now so should I leave him alone until this settles if it ever does? I have noticed even before the collar, he watches me very carefully, I have errantly moved my hand quickly near him but so far it has not triggerd an attack.

Concern 2#: If I let him crow unabated and don't start training with the no crow collar now, he will resent the use of it and turn me into an enemy.
His father started seeing me as a threat when I started putting the collar on him, as far as i know our relationship was strained severely. But I only have a limited time to control the crowing before I get concerned the neighbours will complain.

Ideally I would like to regularly daily take off the collar in the morning, then put it back on him at dusk

Last edited:
Enjoy reading your post! Since I started raising chickens during the pandemic, I also had a lot of chicken dramas. A proud alpha rooster, a submissive hen raised to the top hen.. I am sorry to hear your old roo was dead ( he wasn't old at all). I think the young son's aggression would abate as he grows older. My still have scars from my rooster's reckless pecking a year ago! 🙃

But I only have a limited time to control the crowing before I get concerned the neighbours will complain.
Are you allowed to have crowers in your area?
Crow collars rarely work well, and they can be fatally dangerous.

I am not one to 'handle' male birds unless absolutely necessary for health checks and then I do it off the roost after dark. I've found in my flock and from much reading here at BYC, it's best to leave hands off.

I would not use a no-crow collar because they are dangerous.

I use a hand-off management system, aiming to have my birds see me not as part of the flock but as a force of nature like a cow or a horse wandering through their area. The Giant Who Brings Food.

I "walk through" my boys, occasionally unnecessarily moving equipment to give me an excuse, but I don't challenge them. I just expect them to get out of my way when I'm walking.

Ah dammit, my roo pecked me for the first time. I went out to the garden. I brought him food. He was in my way but I waited for him to acknowledge my presence and walked slowly step my step around him, when I sat down I offered food like usual and everyone flocked around me.

Then when I saw the opportunity, I picked up some of the hens. The thing is, while this was happening, he was grumbling a bit. I think that means he is annoyed about something. I picked him up for a few seconds, he didn't like it but he still didn't attack me.

I walked around slowly to pick up my daily eggs then when I checked the feeder, he actually walked over and pecked my hand drawing blood, my attention wasn't even on him, it was like he looked for the fight. I then held him down in a submission position and he walked away in a huff.

I'm not sure what set him off. If it was me picking him up, I have to do that to check his health.

However, even tho I haven't been attacked prior to this, this week my dad who does and walks as he likes got attacked.

I would not use a no-crow collar because they are dangerous.

I use a hand-off management system, aiming to have my birds see me not as part of the flock but as a force of nature like a cow or a horse wandering through their area. The Giant Who Brings Food.

I "walk through" my boys, occasionally unnecessarily moving equipment to give me an excuse, but I don't challenge them. I just expect them to get out of my way when I'm walking.
I'm tempted to appear as a force of nature to my rooster, but I guess I'm worried this will just aggravate it.
As in what I'm doing:
Deal with on the spot with a show of dominance if it has escalated to violence
Walking through:
Inviting challenge. But your goal is to use your size and scary attachments to make the rooster think twice of actually challenging.

I've gone out again today to see what would happen. He is wary of me, I feel like one wrong move and he will attack but there was no attack from him this time. He knew I brought treats and pecked inquisitively like he usually does , not the malicious pecking but to be honest, the difference is subtle when I'm wearing a jacket. He is wary of my touch and he is less comfortable with me petting him.

I actually suspect that the trigger is me interfering with the feeder. I've noticed he has started to eat from the feeder. He does not chase the other chickens from the feeder but when I opened it when a bang, it was twice in total he walked up and started pecking me with malice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom