how do I mix up and give Oxytetracycline to say just two chickens ?

ladyearth

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
kentucky
I dont wanna give it by just putting it in their water. Why can I mix say a pint of it or less and put it in a syringe, you know those without the needle syringes? so how much powder and how much water to mixture it and then hpow much in a syringe?
cause I gave them Safeguard 2 weeks ago .. Finally got some Valbazen(whatever,spelling?)and gave the four hens 1/2 mil by syringe Friday Nite.
two of them still have a really reddish not quite purple comb. Plus fluffed up and sitting around.
also almost all those hens have shafted off feathers plus are skinny as heck. they are my supposedly 2 year old group of Orphs.Just obtained them past March....
thanks yall

no gram scale... why cant do like part of a teaspoon or say a pinch?
Because you have no way of knowing how many mg are in that "pinch". In addition to that, you would also have to know how much each one ways, and tetracycline have to be given several times a day to be effective, so you would have to do this at least twice a day. How good are you at math?

-Kathy

I sure dont want to try those mg etc measurements... so how much per lb of skinny chicken? Is ther say a chart somewhere? I had no idea chicken raising so complicated.....Im too old for all this worrying....but i have spent too much money, energy and time to give up. plus i hate suffering. Roos fighting(two age group two sets of chickens) is enought to really dicourage me more.... Hubby is c'hickened out" Be nice to have an experienced caring neighbor with chickens......

Let's back up... why do you want to treat them with an antibiotic? Have they ever been wormed? If so, what did they get? What does their poop look like?

-Kathy

Do you have any human antibiotics? Those would be easy to give if you have enough of the right type. Are they drinking? Are they eating? What does their poop look like? Can you put the someplace warm (80-85 degress is ideal for sick birds)?

-Kathy

Last edited:
I gave them .05 of Valbazen like was said on this forum.The ones poo was green for a while and runny.....I first gave Safeguard over 8 days ago in 3 dosages. But said on here.. that it does not treat all type of worms like Valbazen.. So I sent for it. Unfortunately I did not realize that it was such a big bottle..... 500 mil. which is 1000 dosage>>> Right?
well anyway they are ruffled fluffed up. sitting around looks like eating some.... i put Vaseline on their legs when we finshed doding the Valbazen.dark mauve I guess you call it combs...LOts of those chickens 2yr old ones have BROKEN feathers......
I would have to put them in the garage with a heatlamp...to get it that warm.temperature....no way would I bring them in the house. we dont even have heat on now......It is sunny ouside and nice.....and I would have to remember they are in the garage.... Duh me if I put the two in there

I am spending way too much time on chickens... but I hate suffering. wish they could let me know what is wrong....
I bought Pyr concentrated(plus with other nasty stuff) course reading the label is scary too.... and poutry dust.. after reading it I dont want to breathe that. I dont even use chemicals in my garden why would I want to eat or breathe that
I just dont understand why God or Nature lets little chickens suffer
so will prob return it

I gave them .05 of Valbazen like was said on this forum.The ones poo was green for a while and runny.....I first gave Safeguard over 8 days ago in 3 dosages. But said on here.. that it does not treat all type of worms like Valbazen.. So I sent for it. Unfortunately I did not realize that it was such a big bottle..... 500 mil. which is 1000 dosage>>> Right?
well anyway they are ruffled fluffed up. sitting around looks like eating some.... i put Vaseline on their legs when we finshed doding the Valbazen.dark mauve I guess you call it combs...LOts of those chickens 2yr old ones have BROKEN feathers......
I would have to put them in the garage with a heatlamp...to get it that warm.temperature....no way would I bring them in the house. we dont even have heat on now......It is sunny ouside and nice.....and I would have to remember they are in the garage.... Duh me if I put the two in there

I am spending way too much time on chickens... but I hate suffering. wish they could let me know what is wrong....
I bought Pyr concentrated(plus with other nasty stuff) course reading the label is scary too.... and poutry dust.. after reading it I dont want to breathe that. I dont even use chemicals in my garden why would I want to eat or breathe that
I just dont understand why God or Nature lets little chickens suffer
so will prob return it
Did you give 0.05ml (1/20 cc) or 0.5ml (1/2 cc)? If you gave 0.5ml, that's enough for most chickens weighing 6.2 pounds or less. Syringe pictures:

If they have lice or mites you need to use the poultry dust and sick birds really do need heat, but if you can't, you can't.
idunno.gif

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom