How do I move broody hens?

flora

Chirping
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Near Grants Pass, Oregon
I finally have 3 broody hens, how do I move them to a private box for hatching their eggs?
One has been setting for a couple of weeks in the hen house and every time I try to move her she comes off the nest and throws a fit wanting to go back to the hen house.
I put golf balls under her so she wont destroy her eggs while I'm trying to get her to settle down. I put her eggs in the incubator last night and moved her to a rabbit pen with an old dog crate as a nest, is it to open?
Should I just let her stay in the hen house and hatch her eggs there? Maybe put a box on the floor for the other hens to lay in?
I have never had this much trouble moving a broody before, now I'm afraid to move the other 2 when they have been setting for a couple of weeks.

Quote:
I can't help you BUT I asked the same question..if it's ok to leave the nest in the coop with the others or move the nest and can a RIR hatch BO's eggs since she wants everyone's eggs?

Anyways, GOOD LUCK and I hope you (and I ) get some good advice
big_smile.png

We have a broody hen right now. We just left her in the house with the others and she is fine. I have read on other posts that is fine to leave them there. When the eggs hatch Mom will protect them. Hope this helps.
smile.png

If she's getting all grouchy about being moved ..I would let her be ...and you'll just have to mark the fertile eggs and remove the other girls eggs each day...once they hatch try moving the whole family into a separate place but from the sounds of it she's one tough chick and will protect her babies fine...
Did you try moving her in the dark?
I had a chicken when she went broody for the first time and I moved her into a brooding cage she destroyed the eggs and was ticked !
Mama knows best...

Quote:
I move my broody hens at least monthly. They are notorious for going broody. I ALWAYS move them at night. I decide where I want them to be and I prepare the area. I make sure I have fresh water and food and a comfortable area that will be private, secure, calm and peaceful. Mine like a snuggle fit, so I prepare a milk crate with hay for them (but you chose whatever works best for you). After I have prepared a private and secure area for them (always inside of my house in my vacant guest room in a corner), I wait until about 9:00PM when they are in deep sleep or getting there. I have the milk crate ready that she will spend her 21 days or whatever days or left in. I go out to the chicken pen or wherever they are, and slowly pick her up and place her in the egg crate along with placing the eggs under her after I have placed her in the egg crate. I have had a 100% success rate at moving my broody hens. They NEVER fuss or fight. They are so calm and cooperative. When I place them in the milk crate, I also have a blanket that I lay over the crate, so that they see NO LIGHT when I take them back inside of the house. After getting them inside, I take them to the guest room (lights are always off) and I set them in the closet (walk in closet with plenty of room). There they have their food and water waiting for them. The next morning I check on them and they are still setting. No problems whatsoever. I guess that I have just been lucky but I have been doing this for years. I have NEVER had a broody hen to get upset or fuss or get off of her nest and leave her nest. And all of them have a 100% hatching success rate. I hope this helps you. I use this same method every single time with no problems.

Good Luck !

P.S. I also place an additional 5 -7 eggs under them for them to hatch as well. They always accept the eggs. I place them under the hens at night as well. I sometimes have staggered hatchings because I may place a few eggs under the brood hens depending on what breed chickens have layed an egg and what breed I want hatched on what days of the week.

Last edited:
It sure is up to the hen. Some are so determined to brood they don't mind moving...others are very picky. I've had best luck moving at night placing some "practice" eggs to ensure she's broody. I don't move till after a few days of the hen setting where she picked. That way she's well into her broodiness. My setting hens are all cochin or silkie but the BEST is a cochin/silkie cross. She'll set twice a year!

Thanks so much for the information! I'm going to use several of the ideas.
I have waited so long for these Silkies to finally go broody so I can hatch out my pure Blue Andalusian eggs. I don't want to cause them to quit on me!

Back
Top Bottom