How do I pick the right roo for my girls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LAturkens, May 2, 2008.

1. LAturkens

LAturkens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have 4 roos to choose from,all of them are very good looking ,but I have to decide which one stays, they have different personalities,there is one that hangs by the kitchen door and seems to be very attached to me,he's my favorite,but he's also the weekest,the rest of the roos boss him around. so can someone tell me how to pick one?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    If your getting rid of the other roos I would pick the one that hangs around with you. He will most likely be a good people rooster to keep around [​IMG] That's my opinion though.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Pick your favorite, or the one who treats the girls the best. Your favorite might step up to be top roo once the others are gone. A roo who calls girls over for treats, and is not a heavy breeder generally = good with hens.

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I have this exact same dilemma. I have 2 Salmon Favs and am only keeping one. How to decide???? And Jess now has two splash Orp roos. Of course one is way older and unbelieveably beautiful, but the other may turn out to be too.

Does it always make sense to keep the nicest roo?

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I would keep the one who hangs around you since he seems to be so friendly. That way he is easy to work with.

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No expert but I think that if you have kids then the answer is yes. No kids & they freee range then absolutely maybe, HTH tee hee

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd always keep the most people-friendly one. Believe me, my precious Hawkeye, rest his soul, would have died defending his girls, but would never have thought to even give me a mean look. He was wonderful and if I could clone him, I would. Temperament, every time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by