How do I prepare a broody for new chicks?

jonalisa

Codswallop!
8 Years
May 28, 2013
NH
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Buff Orpington who went broody 2 weeks after laying her first egg. Now at 10 months. she goes broody every couple of weeks!
I would like to order 4 one-day old chicks and put them under her (in May) but I am confused about timing.

Based on what I have read here:
  • The hen must already be broody/setting when you put the chicks under her
  • The longer she has been setting, the better
  • One thread said she should be broody 3 weeks

This is confusing to me because I don't know how I can order the chicks and time it so she will be broody when they arrive. (I'd like to order now to get the breeds I want.)
  1. If I order chicks now for May, how can I plan it so she will be broody?
  2. Do I want her to be broody for 3 weeks??? Isn't that unhealthy for her? I thought that was not a good thing because they can lose weight and be malnourished?
  3. If I have her raise these chicks will she continue to be broody after having them? How long before it happens again?
  4. How long do I keep the broody and her chicks separated from my other 8 10-month-olds?

Right now I have 9 pullets at 10 months old in a coop that is 10x10 with 5 nest boxes. 4 more won't be too crowded, will it?

Thanks in advance. I can use all the advice I can get!
jumpy.gif

You want her broody for 3 weeks as that is the time she would sit on eggs to hatch. So you will be making her think she hatched them. They do get off the nest to eat and drink, you just may not catch her. I don't know about how long to seperate. I don't know your flock and she should protect them from everyone. Hope this helps.

Thanks. After reading more threads I feel I should also mention that she only stays on the nest about 3 days - 3 days of me throwing her outside and her waiting for me to go away and then getting back in. Usually, at night I manually put her on the roost and she stays there...as far as i know. When I find her in the nest, I take her out. She gives a low growl, but is still docile. We go through this about 3 days, then she's fine for a week or two, then does it again. Many times there isn't even a egg in the nest.

By others' descriptions of their broody hens, mine doesn't seem as aggressive or determined. Does it sound like she's not truly broody yet?

That said, is there a way for me to order day old chicks and figure out a way for her to accept them - all timed with her broodiness?? I'd like to do this at the beginning of May or so - if it is possible at all.

Last edited:
It is ard to say if she will be broody when you want her to be. I guess just watch her and about 3 weeks before you want your chicks to come, let her stay in the nest.

Good idea.

Can someone tell me how long would you keep the mom and babies separated before integrating: 1) the mom and 2) the chicks - back into the general population and pecking order?

Back
Top Bottom