How do i price my flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ninny, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    We are possiably moving and I may not be able to take the chickens. How do i price and sell them? They are just starting to lay.
    I have one orange mutt rooster. Very sweet temperment and i have a broody sitting on his eggs now. This is a very good flock husband. I have to count again but i think i have 5 buff orpingtons, 8 rir and 7 california whites, 2 brown leghorn hens. I would like to get a good price out of them. Should i sell them as one flock or per bird? If i can take some im taking the rirs and maybe the roo. They are freerange. Thanks!

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I think it all depends on where your location is. For Sacramento and Bay Area the price range seems to be 9.00-20.00 for 12 week or younger pullets. Point of lay pullets I would think 20-30 bucks each. I have no clue about entire flock prices though.

I would also suggest if you know somebody looking for some good laying hens to tell them. I like to know where my sold chickens go and if I can get them to somebody I am familiar with that's best in my opinion. Like I said hopefully some local BYCers can jump in and offer input!

3. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Price them high enough to attract serious buyers and then work with those who you think will give them a good home.

I got some quality responses from Craigslist when I posted mine as a flock with their coop and I was able to sort out those who just wanted cheap chickens. I wanted a good home to someone who would care for them. It worked out well.

Mary

4. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I have bought some laying hens and paid anywhere from $12- 25 each for them depending on how nice they were. I have looked at a lot of adds and chickens that are common around here like the RIR go for $12-15... I paid the top end for the FBCM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by