How do I protect my chickens from human predators?

Olga

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Hi all, I've been lurking for a bit, this is my first post. I don't know if anyone will be able to help me but I hope so!

Here is the background, my husband and I bought our house a year ago. It's in a somewhat rural area but we do have a fair number of houses nearby. We noticed a few houses around the area that had chickens, we want to start a hobby form when he gets out of the USAF so we though getting a couple chickens and ducks would be a nice first step. We checked with the municipality and it is legal to raise ducks and chickens in your backyard here. We have four ducks and four chickens. Our backyard has a seven foot privacy fence. I clipped the feathers on the wings of the chickens so they can't fly out. The highest they ever jump is on the a/c unit.

Here is the situation, last week we went out for a couple of hours and when we came home one of the chickens was gone. We went all around the neighborhood and didn't see here, not that we really thought we would. We thought that maybe a hawk got her.

Well last night my husband heard voices right behind our fence. There is a 10 foot wide area behind our fence before our neighbors fence starts. We went back there and there were about 5 young kids, 10-12, and a 20-ish year old man. And they had our bird! My husband told them to get out of there, and went back and got her. He then when and talked to the kids, the older guy had run off. From talking to each child individually the guy had gotten in our fence, taken the bird, and was basically tormenting her. Today he had decided he was going to beat her to death with a rock.

My husband went and talked to the kids parents, first off about the bird but also that he was concerned about them hanging out with this guy. I've seen him around the neighborhood, and I have to say he gives off a very weird vibe.

Unfortunately none of the parents were too concerned about the bird or the guy with their kids. One of them got mad at my husband saying that it wasn't illegal for him to kill our chickens, how did he think they got in supermarkets?

We talked to our closest neighbors, and they have all had problems with this group. One of them felt he had to get a guard dog. We have asked them to keep an eye on our backyard and let us know if they see anything, and they have all agreed to do that.

We are getting new locks to replace the broken one, but honestly I don't think that is going to do much.

Sorry for the length of this, I am frustrated and upset. I know to some people (the police for one) they are "just birds" but they are our pets. I don't know what to do. The only options I really see at this point are the locks and hope he doesn't do it again and risk having birds tortured, or find another home for them which I really don't want to do.

My knee-jerk reaction:

Find the 20 year old. Tell him that you have a gun and you know how to use it. Do NOT threaten him directly.

Security lights - motion activated

Security camera - wireless

Check the child predator registry in your area. A 20-something hanging around a bunch of 10-12 year olds engaging them in animal torture is classic behavior for a child molester. That 20-something may already be on a registry somewhere.

Call the police. Even if they do not do anything at this time you want there to be a record. I seriously doubt this is the last you will hear from this guy.

Quote:
Much more useful suggestions than mine!
smile.png

First off:
welcome-byc.gif

Second, after i read this story I had the worst image in my head! I'm so sorry people like that live by you
hugs.gif
As suggested by your neighbor, you may have to get a guard dog BUT from what I understand It will have to be a herd-type dog that needs to be raised around or already has been raised around chickens. I know they protect well against wild animals but as far as humans, I'm not totally sure. Your second option could be to set up alarms
idunno.gif
Or some other way to know that someone is trespassing. A third option, you may have to build a run to keep you birds in and have a lock on that. I had this done with mine and I only let them freerange when I am supervising them. I'm soooo sorry to hear this happen to you. I hope your birds will be safe for the time being. In the mean time, wait and see if someone more experienced comes by and responds.

Good Luck!
hugs.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I cannot believe what that parent said, it starts with animals... one day a kid will be missing! This guy needs to be reported, now!

This makes me sick and is exactly why I live in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but cows and chickens outside. Oh yeah, and wild animals... better than wild people
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom