How do I Reintroduce hurt a Hen to the group?

BellasFarm11

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Hi this is my 1st post. I came here because I really need help ASAP! I've got 11 chickens that are about 4 months old.. It looks like I may have about 4 roosters!! Agh!! Well one hen (Tiny is her name) was limping I brought her in and cleaned her feet off with water & colloidal silver I then applied animal scents salve to her. I kept her in a cage inside all day & after dark I put her in in the nesting box with the others.. In the morning she was limping even more so I kept her separated for a full 24 hours.. I let her out into the yard 1st and then I let the others out. And ALL the roosters surrounded her I had to fight them off of her they were so aggressively trying to mount her like a new hen!! She was terrified! So now she's back in my kitchen in the cage ( happy & safe) but no longer a part of the flock.
1f622.png
what do I do to get everyone calm and keep her from getting hurt? The roosters are to small to process and I wanted to give them more time to mature but I'm completely at a loss of ideas ! Please help! Thanks so much !

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

It can be hard to introduce a single bird to a flock. One method that sometimes works is to put the single hen in a large crate or dog cage and put the cage in the middle of the flock. With that set-up, other birds can see the hen, but not touch her. After a few hours (or longer), the hen can often be re-introduced without problems.

However, I don't think that it is necessarily a good idea to re-introduce your hen before she is fully healed. The other birds will stress her out, which will only make any injury to her leg worse. It would be better to keep her isolated until she has recovered, and then try introducing her again.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

BantamLover21 has given you some good advice.

Good luck in introducing your hen to the flock again!

Is there a way you can partition off the roosters from the rest of the flock, so they won't be tormenting the hens? A rooster can handle 10 hens so when there are less, they get overbred to the point of damage or even death.

Second thought, maybe you could keep this girl as a housepet. Some, at the lowest end of pecking order really flourish when away from all the chicken bickering and clichés, and roosters.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Would figure out a way to segregate your young roos until you want to process them, once they start harassing hens they usually will continue to be a problem, if not with the injured hen, would guess they will be starting on the other hens pretty soon.
X3, would keep the injured hen separate until she is recovered, then reintegrate her into the flock using the cage method for a week or two.

Thank you for all the advice! We did leave the cage out there for a few hours as I stood guard.. Once they ignored her and left her alone she was ready to get out and I let her out and kept a close eye.. All the roosters went nuts again so my husband and I separated the roo's from the hens and I'll load the 5 that we think are roo's up in the morning and I'll take them to the be turned into supper... I'm very nervous! Thank God I have a very experienced friend who we got our chicks from who is going to help me. Say a prayer for me I'm having a bit of anxiety I've never done this before and I can't have them harassing my hens and hurting each other.. This is all part of that circle of life thing and I'm very grateful for them and the lives they've lived.. They have been wonderful companions and beautiful to watch. Gulp.. Just say a prayer for me I'm not looking forward to this part of chicken ownership..
1f622.png

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with Bantam Lover. Put her in a separate cage so she can see but not touch the others. Do this for as long as you can. (Two weeks at the least.) Then let them mix. Be sure to provide extra feeders and waterers so that the other hens don't starve the single hen. Also, make sure there are plenty of hideaways too.

Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif

You have been given some great advice. I agree you need to remove all those roosters and introduce any new or injured birds from inside of a cage for a few weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches method. Make sure when you do mix her back in, you add more feeding and watering stations. The more aggressive birds love to guard these areas and creates even more aggression.

Good luck with your flock and we do welcome you to our flock!

I agree with DrumstickDiva! Our Gretl has become our house chicken because her injuries left her with some residual neuro problems and the other hens attacked her! There was no way to safely reintroduce her, and we love having her as a pet!

Back
Top Bottom