How do I separating roos from hens-help please!!

deidreschultz

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I have 8 chickens 4 roos and 4 hens. They are almost 7 mos old. I know the whole ration thing. They were supposed to be hens. Couldn't find home for them. Everyone wants to eat them. I love them and can't imagine that. I have a large hen house that goes into a fairly large run. My ? is can I just divide everything in 1/2 with chick wire. The roos would still be able to see hens just not get to them. Will this drive the roos insane being able to see and not touch the hens. Everyone gets along roos aren't fighting, but I'm worried with the separation they will be aggresive. Any thoughts or experience on the matter would be most helpful and appreciated. Thank in advance.

Last edited:
Well, for starters...... what is your reasoning for separating your birds? Some folks do keep their extra roos in a bachelor pad..... but I would think that being in direct sight of the hens all the time is going to keep their hormones raging. If you leave them all together, over time the roos will most likely overmate one or all of your hens. I highly recommend that you either get more hens or rehome the extra roos and just keep a roo with your flock
smile.png

Best of luck...hopefully others will have other suggestions for you.

The roos are overmating the hens. They are starting to loose feathers on their back. I have tried finding homes for them. I even tried to find a vet to caponize them as soon as we realized they were roos, but they wanted $350 each. So you think they will start fighting if they can see the hens. Thanks for your reply. Evidentally not a popular subject.

Do you have room for more hens? You could order a min. amt. from a hatchery that sexes them. McMurray does a real good job of sexing. Most hatcheries only guarantee a 90% accuracy rate and McMurray is good. Mypetchicken.com has a very small min. order number but I can't remember if they sex them or not. Or place an order and sell the pullets. Pullets are pretty easy to sell. Just a thought. Good luck.

In answer to your question...yes, you can divide the room up. I have eight roos in a large enclosed pen in the yard and when the flock is free ranging they see them and no one "kills himself" over seeing the hens. LOL

Four roos together are going to fight. No getting around it.
You can try calling feed stores in your area, quite often they will place roos for you.
Place an ad in the paper.
Even if you fence off the roos they will fight. You will have to face the fact that it will be a problem if you keep them all.
Four roos are four too many for four hens.....if you are in the country the noise they make won't be a problem but if you are in an urban environment with neighbors you may have issues there.
One option to you would be to get four large dog carriers, stake your roos down with a foot leash and a long lead keeping them well separated, put food and water down for each one and that should do it. Other than that , section off your run into four separate pens, put a dog carrier in each one for shelter along with feed and water. At least that way you don't have to leash them.
Tough problem for sure....we all love our chickens but sometimes you have to make decisions for the good of all concerned.
good luck!!

Quote:
Guitartists is correct. Not an unpopular subject, it's that you seem to want someone to endorse your idea- and it isn't a good one, I'm sorry.

If the roos are right next to the hens, they will fight and injure each other once they mature. I know it isn't fun or easy, but you really do need a distant enclosure for the roos or rehome them.

I have listed many roos on my local Craig's List- and I've been lucky about finding them new homes with people who have free range flocks. That way the roos can get some new hens.

Quote:
Guitartists is correct. Not an unpopular subject, it's that you seem to want someone to endorse your idea- and it isn't a good one, I'm sorry.

If the roos are right next to the hens, they will fight and injure each other once they mature. I know it isn't fun or easy, but you really do need a distant enclosure for the roos or rehome them.

I have listed many roos on my local Craig's List- and I've been lucky about finding them new homes with people who have free range flocks. That way the roos can get some new hens.

Well first thanks for your suggestion on the craigs list thing never have done anything on there for that matter never even been on the website.
2nd when guitartist replied to my post it was the 1st post after being on there for most the morning. I wasn't trying to get someone to agree with me just simply trying to do the best thing for my chickens. I'm looking for a new home for them. I will also try the feed store. Thanks again

Quote:

Well first thanks for your suggestion on the craigs list thing never have done anything on there for that matter never even been on the website.
2nd when guitartist replied to my post it was the 1st post after being on there for most the morning. I wasn't trying to get someone to agree with me just simply trying to do the best thing for my chickens. I'm looking for a new home for them. I will also try the feed store. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom