how do i seperate my chickens without them freaking out?

larps1234

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
i have three chickens. there is one serama that is 6 weeks old, and two olandsk dwarf siblings. they are about 5 weeks old. one of the olandsk dwarfs is a cockeral. i cant have cockerals in my neighborhood, so i have to separate them without the hens making loud noises wondering where their brother is. i have until tomorrow morning.

If you separate the hens and cockerels (roosters), they won't even know they're missing, nonetheless make loud noises. Simply move the rooster out of the pen and let the rest be. The hens should be alright. Let me know about your success!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try separating them after they have settled down to sleep and it is dark. Approach them only with a flash light that is not shone directly on them. Of course if they sleep in a chick pile this may be easier said than done. If they are within ear shot of each other, then if one protest, then they all make a ruckus. But I guess you already know that. The thing is you probably have to move him to somewhere where they cannot hear him.

thank goodness the trade i had with the person who wants my male was postponed a week! i want to try what you guys said, but i don't have a separate cage yet! the trade is tomorrow! i think i should just separate them when it is time. what do you guys think?

The trade went great! The only problem now is that the new chicken is being attacked by my serama. I cant separate the serama because the olanssk dwarf will freak. I have them in separate cages next to eachother so they can see eachother but not touch. I need them in the same cage. What should I do?

Keeping them separate for a while where they can see each other like you are doing is typically how people start introducing new comers. Given some time they should get used to each other but there may be some pecking when you eventually put them together to establish the pecking order, but hopefully it won't be as bad. I'm not sure how long it will take. I guess you will just need to try again after a few days and see if it is any better. Ideally a lot of chicken experts recommend a 30 day quarantine to watch for signs of disease to protect the flock.

Back
Top Bottom