How do I serve eggs shells?

I just throw them into the coop along with the feed and organic table scraps. The chickens will scratch for what they need whether it be food or minerals. You'd be suprised on how smart these dumb chickens are. They didn't survive extinction for this long being stupid. Even with all of the dozens of preditors that love the taste of a free chicken dinner.
Just throw a few handfulls of the egg shells in and check to see how much they eat. When it seems that they ate most of them, throw some more in. Use your own judgement. I found that chickens that peck and break thier own eggs are usually not looking for extra calcium, They are in need for extra protein in thier diet. The yolk is thier best source of something that they need. Buy a feed that has blood meal or extra soy meal. They will recycle the calcium as needed for the shells.

This has been the subject of debate on BYC in the past. I can only speak from my own experience.

For 16 years, I have collected veggie, fruit and kitchen scraps in a small bucket. Egg shells go in there, too. When it's time to feed the flock, I whack the shells and scraps with a wooden spoon, and pitch it out for the girls. They love it, and I haven't ever had one turn into an eggeater from that. I break the shells into chunks so it's easier for all to get some. I don't cook, nuke or otherwise prepare the shells.

The only time I have seen the chickens eat an egg is when it was accidently broken after laying. I've never seen one intentionally break the shell.

And that calcium can only help!

My dad just fed them almost whole egg shells!
he.gif
Will they all be egg-eaters after this???
fl.gif

no,no no.
Thought it may increase the risk. I have seen hens lay the the get off them peck them then eat them, same with roos.
That's why I mentioned my buddy cooking them first. He claims it kills the flavor. I know a lot of folks do it, but I just feel safer feeding oyster shell and not having to worry about egg eaters.
But it takes time for them to develpoe the taste and some or most may never . but I like being safe than sorry.
Aubrey

Quote:
Yeah. It was too much of a hassle to save the shells and then crush them. We'll go with the 5 lb. bag of oyster shells for 5 bucks. I think it's worth it.

I have found it is really easy to serve the shells. I throw them in the coup with the other treats then step on the shells to break them up. They go crazy and eat what they want out of the pile. I have no egg eaters unless an egg is accidentally broken while laying.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
You dont need to bake them - you can just let them dry out naturally on the counter
smile.png
I do this and then crush them up really well (by hand) inside of a ziplock bag, then mix it in with their grit or mix it in with their "goodies"

They love it and have never once broken one of their eggs they laid.

I dry them in the oven on a tray....mostly to be sure any bacteria is killed. Perhaps unnecessary...but it makes me feel more comfortable.
smile.png
Then I crush them and toss them on the ground for the chickens. I have a standard place where the crushed shells are always tossed....makes it consistent for the hens. When they're in need of calcium it's always in the same place.

Last edited:
I keep mine in a coffee can in the fridge. If you do this, the shells crumble easily in your hand. I then just crumble them onto the run floor and the girls love to find them. Keeping them in the fridge I think helps dry them out and reduces bacteria.

sometimes I will mix up a treat batch of scrambled eggs with oatmeal and then add the crushed up shells.

I have been doing this for several years and have not had any egg eaters. The only time I have seen my girls eat a whole egg is when I have dropped one in the run. They went after it like mad! I was worried for a bit that I had turned them into cannibals. But ... so far so good!

Back
Top Bottom