How do I stablize Temp.

Cats Critters

Completely Indecisive
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Clarion County, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I'm working with an old incubator, and I plug it in and the temp. just goes up and up and up.... how do I stabilize it ? I keep trying to turn the heat down by turning the thing but it just goes up?

Is it a wafer? If so I turn my clockwise to turn it down. Hope this helps. Mine takes about 15 minutes to stabilize, then you can adjust again if yo need to.

Is it a wafer?

Yes
If so I turn my clockwise to turn it down.

It does not seem to go down though? I turned it on after church today and have not looked at it or touched it in hopes it stabilizes maybe it's time to check.....​

Quote:
I agree. I had mine plugged in for at least 24 hours before I set any eggs.

All I can say is keep fiddling with it. Give it some time to adjust, check it and fiddle again. You will find the right "spot", it just takes a while. I remember getting frustrated as well. I hope you can get it set soon. Keep us posted and good luck!

we need a little more info..

you say "old" ????? what kind? what style? what make?

Is your wafer making contact with the micro switch?? is there a micro switch? maybe it was removed.
is there a wafer?

Is ther an indicator light that does not go out?? does go out?? does not come on in the first place?

did you test the wafer? do you know how to test the wafer?

you say "old" ????? what kind? what style? what make?

It was my neighbors and he has not had chickens in years (think before I was born and I'm a teen) Only thing I can find as fare as age is the copyright date on the instructions it's 1986. It's a Hova-Bator no. 1602N, It's just a normal square desk top incubator.
is there a micro switch?

I have no idea, what is it?
is there a wafer?

yes
Is there an indicator light that does not go out?? does go out?? does not come on in the first place?

Yes, there is a little red light on top that does not go out.
do you know how to test the wafer?

No​

OK.. unplug it first.. good...

now look at the wafer.. there should be a small (usually black) square block with a tiny silver button that is located right at the center of the wafer..

unscrew the wafer from the adjusting screw and remove it..

now press on the silver button.. You should hear a tiny click sound.

that is your micro switch.. it is your on/off switch for the heating element..

when it is pressed, the heat stops
when you let it back out the heat starts..

now take your wafer and smell it.
If it smells like alcohol, it probably is no good..

to test it, go to the sink and run cool water over the wafer.. the bimetals should contract andthe wafer will get thinner at the center.. now run WARM water over it,, NOT HOT water . it should expand and get fat in the center..

If you are satisfied that it is OK re- install it into the bator..

screw the adjusting screw in until the wafer come into contat with the silver button on the switch..

carefully screw it in and out and listen for the click..

put the top onto the bottom and plug it back in..

now when you adjust it in the light should go out when the button clicks. when you back it out the light should come on.. as the temp rises keep turning the screw out a little at a time.. the light should go on and off accordingly.. on means it is heating, off means it is not heating..

try this and let us know how you are doing..

.........jiminwisc.......

Back
Top Bottom