How do I stop feather picking before it becomes a problem?

ChelC

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
My chicks are 6 weeks I think and I have one RIR pullet that is relentless! She pecks the butts of all of the other chickens and has removed some feathers and drawn blood on one that I know of. What can I do about her before it becomes a bad habit for others?

By the way, they have plenty of room and plenty of space at the feeders, so that should not be a problem.

I'm being a geek heere cuz I can't remember the exact name...but If you go to a feedstore and ask for pine pitch or tar....to put on the pecked birds...it is the best deterrent...esp b4 it becomes a serious habit...or you may have to I can barely type it..."cull" the bird...but I would try everything else first

M

Are you talking about Blu-Kote?

I was looking for some last week, and they were out. I have two of my red sex-links that are getting little bald patches at the tops of the wings from someone pecking at them, I think. (Unless the roos are doing it ... the red sex-links are their favs.)

Good luck with it. I hope you can stop it asap.

I've also heard brooder light color can be an issue, but you probably don't have them under lights anymore at 6 weeks?

Hope you get it resolved.

trish

boredom can be a huge factor in feather eaters. not enough calcium. NOT enough room. (usually pecking comes in When their sleeping (huddled together.. meaning. not enough room) but there are loads more of reasons. you could try using the search and typing in Feather eater or something. may be of more help. i've seen a few topics. and typed out A LOT of info on some of them. (or i think i have).. hope this helps.

EDIT: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=50955 Only link of (mine).. i could find... i could have sworn i had one with a lot of info but these are pretty common Causes. if it doesn't help you can always use the search button :}

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom