HOW DO I STOP MY CHICKEN FROM EATING HER EGGS?

Thanks so much! Very helpful.
This is her feed: https://thechookyard.co.nz/product/westons-peak-layer-pellets-25kg/?v=8e3eb2c69a18
She also gets treat like meal worms (about 10) everyday. Also getting other treats like mince or part of a cooked egg when she needs more protein or we are out of meal worms, however she gets these less commonly. She is heathly, and is definatly eating them beacsue we try to get them from her each morning and catch her trying to eat it some mornings.

Will definatley try your tricks! She is currently a single chicken, no flock, this may seem odd but her other 2 friends were killed by a ferret about a year ago and we have not been in a place to get more. She is ok though and doing well without a flock. The tips will be great and I'll start trying them tomorow!! :)

Aw, I’m very sorry to hear about the loss of your flock! She could possibly be eating her eggs out of boredom then. How much space does she have? What kind of enrichment do you provide?

I may cut back in the mealworms just a bit, but it’s up to you.

I hope me tips help!

ive had egg eaters that finally got taken out by a hawk, dont miss them .. that was a hint at the best solution .. sometimes though it can be a nest box problem if its not well dressed especially if the bottom cushion gets thin .. multiple hens can get in there and drop eggs on eggs sitting on a hard bottom, once one get broke its time to eat more or less .. other problems i suspect, are song birds getting in the coop and maybe pecking an egg and getting it started that way, or squirrels digging up a nest box .. in any of those cases i wouldnt let that situation fly, and eliminate the instigators lol

Thanks! It is hard for her to break the eggs because she takes about 2 minutes of peaking at it, from inside our house we hear a banging and rush out to grab her egg before she breaks it. Dont know if that means still defecincy but we will try to up her calcium.
If they get more protein and such they will have a very hard time pecking through it.

Thanks so much! Very helpful.
This is her feed: https://thechookyard.co.nz/product/westons-peak-layer-pellets-25kg/?v=8e3eb2c69a18
She also gets treat like meal worms (about 10) everyday. Also getting other treats like mince or part of a cooked egg when she needs more protein or we are out of meal worms, however she gets these less commonly. She is heathly, and is definatly eating them beacsue we try to get them from her each morning and catch her trying to eat it some mornings.

Will definatley try your tricks! She is currently a single chicken, no flock, this may seem odd but her other 2 friends were killed by a ferret about a year ago and we have not been in a place to get more. She is ok though and doing well without a flock. The tips will be great and I'll start trying them tomorow!! :)
Wait so there is one chicken? Maybe it needs some friends. Same breed chickens usually get along well. I have these two buff brahmas and they stay together all the time, im assuming because of the color match.

Also have you considered that maybe you arent feeding her enough?

Back
Top Bottom