how do I stop my Hen from eating the eggs????

im gonna say the same thing i did on another post um my uncle he takes an egg breaks it open on the ground lets the hen see it and want to get it
droolin.gif
then he squirts mustard on the egg and finally lets the chicken get to it and they dont like mustard he says if it works for his chickens it might work for yours as well and if the problem still percists i dont wanna say what to do
hit.gif

I keep golf balls in my nests so if they decide to peck they have a good chance of finding strong resistance. I have brown layers and use plain old white golf balls.

It must work well enough, because even when one cracked because someone launched instead of laid, no one ate any of it!

I've had spilled egg in there a few times and no one reacted!

Hens often eat eggs when their nest boxes are too large, and 2 or 3 hens get in at the same time, leading to egg breakage OR if the nest boxes are too light.

Try making sure that your nest boxes are approx. 12' wide by 14' tall, and have some kind of flap in front - I use old cut up tee-shirts to make the nest box dark, but still easy to get into/out of.

This works most of the time, but sometimes there is a habitual egg eater. Best thing in this scenario is to cull the egg eater.

Rachel
Bellecreek Farm

I think I might try golf balls too. I found an egg shell on the floor, which I have never seen before. Don't know if this was a one time thing. I sure hope it is. I've got 8 laying hens, which includes one Japanese Bantam, which you know only lays occassionally. My girls haven't been laying very well now for the past 3 weeks. Lets just say, they've never been into eating eggs before, so lets hope this isn't the problem.
fl.gif

One of the books on raising poultry i have said put a bit of garlic in with the food, this make the eggs taste yucky and turns them off to it. Of course, you wouldn't want to eat the eggs either till it was out of their systems...So, I wouldn't try that unless you were at the end of your ropes.

Good Luck!

bowl_of_chicken_soup.jpg

3 carrots, sliced
3 onions, chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 cans chicken broth
1 packet Lipton soup mix

* Put everything except the Lipton soup mix in the crock-pot and set on low.
* Cook chicken soup recipe for 8 to 10 hours.
* Prepare Lipton soup mix as indicated on package and add to crock-pot. Done!

See if they'll eat another egg after this.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom