How do I stop this

Wiccan chicken

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2020
My chickens keep getting an injury between the beak and comb. Today I had a big scare with my Buff Orpington, she got one of the mysterious injuries along with my dominant Delaware hybrid hen. Even when I had my rooster all of them got the ingury so I don’t think they are hurting each other. I’m including a picture of the cage and both injured hens.

Attachments

• E57A14C5-98C4-401F-B5A2-F6BAE902E10E.jpeg
    E57A14C5-98C4-401F-B5A2-F6BAE902E10E.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 14
Can you post a picture of your feeder ? They may be reaching through the pen wire trying to reach something. Somehow they are injuring themselves. I don't think that it is a bird on bird injury.

That’s from the coop. I have the same coop and get the same problems. They are most likely reaching through the wires.

That’s from the coop. I have the same coop and get the same problems. They are most likely reaching through the wires.
I thought so, thank you for helping me figure out what it is. Is there anything you have done to get them to stop or at least reduce the injuries?

Can you post a picture of your feeder ? They may be reaching through the pen wire trying to reach something. Somehow they are injuring themselves. I don't think that it is a bird on bird injury.
This picture has the feed and water containers I typically use. At the moment the feeder is on the ground and I am currently using a warmed bowl in their coop.

Attachments

• C987078D-6553-4DD9-8DEE-01E084F20E71.jpeg
    C987078D-6553-4DD9-8DEE-01E084F20E71.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 13
This picture has the feed and water containers I typically use. At the moment the feeder is on the ground and I am currently using a warmed bowl in their coop.
It COULD be the feeder. those edges look sharp.

The wire would be a relatively easy fix, just put smaller gauge on the inside of the coop.

How big is that coop? It looks too small for them in my opinion. Do they get to free range at all? My first guess is they are trying to reach through as others say.
They do have a larger pen that is going though repairs because some of the chicken wire was bent and they tried to escape. Before that we would put them in the large area at least once a week with supervision. They unfortunately can’t be fully free range because we have a large dog and neighborhood cats.

Back
Top Bottom