How do I stopped my chockens from eating their eggs after laying them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickie<3, Jul 17, 2011.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    About 2 weeks ago one of my five chickens has gone broody...since then egg production has gone down from the rest of the girls...but i'm starting to think they r eating them...i have seen some yolks in the nesting box assumming they were fart eggs..but my husband saw one of the girls eat an egg..shell and all...how do i stop the from eating their eggs?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Do a search for roll out nestboxes.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Can you collect the eggs more often. I'm home a lot so I go out and collect eggs when I hear the egg song.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You might check the shells for thin, easily cracked shells. Most chickens won't intentionally turn around and eat an egg but they will take advantage of the opportunity of a broken and leaking egg.

I've been raising chickens for many years and have never had an egg eater, though my chickens will eat any egg I throw out in the yard and break open for them. You might also look for rats and snakes to be eating your eggs....the rats will sometimes leave the shells and your chickens could be seen eating those.

5. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Might I remind you that in this terrible economy you can get someone for pennies on the dollar to sit in a chair next to your Hens nest box and watch for chickens eating their own eggs. I mean you can solve your problem and help someone out who's in need of something to do with their day.

Or you can listen to Beekissed

Good Luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by