How do I store eggs to be put in bator??

digger455

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
I got 4 eggs from my hens this morning and was thinking about putting them in bator, but I want to wait a couple days and get more eggs to put in. I have them on the counter right now in a egg carton. Is it ok to do it that way???? It is about 74 in the house now. I guess I just want to no best way to store them for a few days,

Thanks

Digger

I usually store them in an egg carton with the narrow side of the egg pointed down.

I've read that it's best to store the at 50 degrees, but i don't really have the means for that.

I've also heard that you're supposed to tilt the carton in a different direction once a day, but i don't really do that either.
hmm.png

Quote:
You can also put in an electric turner if you have one....If you hand turn, don't forget to wash your hands before each turning. Have a blessed one. Nancy

I had several batches of mail order eggs coming in on different days that I wanted to incubate at the same time. I put the eggs into an egg carton and put them into a small igloo ice chest that had several of those frozen cool-paks in it. I just set the carton right on the chill packs. I had a thermometer riding on top of the egg cartons and it was 50-55 degrees. Then, with the lid on the ice chest/cooler, I just propped a book under one end and switched it every half day to the other side of the chest as an impromptu egg turner without having to open the lid and compromise the chill packs. (I did rotate chill packs out every day).

It took five days for all of the supposedly mailed-on-the-same-day egg packages to arrive. The ones in the cooler the longest actually had the best hatch rate!

Back
Top Bottom