1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I take good pictures of chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rosalind, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I keep trying to take nice pics of the flock. When they were little, this was easy, as they slept all the time and weren't too fast. I do take pictures of wildlife as a hobby, so I am used to sitting quietly, etc. Figured it would be easy with chickens--just throw down some stale bread and clover, they all come running, snap some pictures on high-speed film, right?

Wrong. I've got pics of a bunch of blurry brown things with legs, headless balls of feathers, and a bunch of chickens that seem to have escaped from The Matrix.

Like so:
    [​IMG]

How do you guys take such nice pictures of your chickens?

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I always get great pictures of fluffy butts. I have no luck with head shots at all. Wish I could help. Can you change the setting ISO? Used to be we could get 800 speed film and moving tagerts were easier.

3. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    just keep snapping until you get a good one. Thank heaven for digital cameras.[​IMG]

4. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Point Shoot Repeat! Somewhere there has to be a good one! [​IMG]

5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Sometimes cameras have an "activity" setting that looks like a little running person. If you set it to that setting, it takes a whole bunch of pictures like 1 second apart, all in a row, while you hold down the button. If you have a digital, this is great because you just peruse the images until you find a good one.

Also, more light = faster shutter= less blurry. So try a sunny day for best results.

-MTchick

6. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Wrong. I've got pics of a bunch of blurry brown things with legs, headless balls of feathers, and a bunch of chickens that seem to have escaped from The Matrix.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't feel bad.. me too! [​IMG] I thought maybe my arm was shaky or something!

-Meghan​

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by