How do I tell the sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeremyhenline, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jeremyhenline

jeremyhenline New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Bumpass Virginia
    I have gotten into the chicken raising thing pretty big now i have started with a small coop and moved up to a newly built 10x10x8 chicken mansion. With all that said i have added 12 new chicks to my flock but confused with all the how to tell the sex. can anyone help? Also i have added 3 silky hens to the flock of 5 red sex links and 1 rhoad island red rooster "bruster" but there real quick to run away and very skiddish, is this just being new only 5 days in the coop now or is this their demeanor? One of the silky are laying so thats a plus!

2. jeremyhenline

jeremyhenline New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Bumpass Virginia
    the chicks are as folows 3 barrard rocks 3 rhoad island reds 2 new hampshire 2 black giants 2 silver laced wyndotyes 2 black austrolopes

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    roosters get bigger redder combs and wattles before the pullets. Between 3 to months months old rooster start to grow in their saddle (area on back in front of tail base) and hackle (neck) feathers. These will be thin long and pointy, maybe even shinny or different colored from the rest of the body

silkies are like any other chicken, if you mess with them alot, they are easier to work with, if you don't mess with them, they are skittish

4. Eileen 1930

Eileen 1930 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Florida
    Hi there,

I too want to know what my 11 week old chickens are. That is a start at what the other comment I read about
    the comb . So is some help to find out.

Thanks for your comment.
    Eileen 1930

Please reply Check out my photos

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    To both jeremyhenline and Eileen--post some photos. That's the easiest way for us to help you. You'll need to have 10 posts before you can post photos, so go post on someone else's thread and come back. Eileen, I'd start a new thread in this forum just for your birds. It will be less confusing and you'll get help faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by