How Do I tell what bird laid what egg?

ThunderClucker

Hatching
Apr 25, 2020
I have a flock of 15 chickens. 8 of them are just at around the age to start laying. I have one hen that lays everyday. How will I be able to tell who's eggs I'm getting? I have three Easter eggers, two Rhode island red, two buff orphingtons, and a silkie/Americana mix....I also have a bantom but I'm sure I can figure that one out myself

I have a flock of 15 chickens. 8 of them are just at around the age to start laying. I have one hen that lays everyday. How will I be able to tell who's eggs I'm getting? I have three Easter eggers, two Rhode island red, two buff orphingtons, and a silkie/Americana mix....I also have a bantom but I'm sure I can figure that one out myself
I think that Easter eggers usually lay colorful eggs. Rhode Island reds lay brown eggs, so do buff Orpingtons. Ameracanas lay blue eggs but since yours are mixes I'm not sure.

Short of dying their vents with food coloring in the early morning,
or stalking the nests to 'catch them in the act',
it's pretty hard to do.
If they are not banded and you take notes and pics, you may forget. :D BTDT.

I have cameras on my nesting boxes. They are activated by movement. They narrows it down to generally showing them entering and leaving the boxes. Then when I gather eggs I see who did what. I also get an alert sent to my phone and watch so I know to go check boxes. I may put a small charm on the legs of the chickens that look identical so I can figure out who is whom.

I think that Easter eggers usually lay colorful eggs. Rhode Island reds lay brown eggs, so do buff Orpingtons. Ameracanas lay blue eggs but since yours are mixes I'm not sure.

Yeah I was hoping have an assortment of colors so, it's all good. Mostly brown but still a hint of color. I'll have to stalk them

Back
Top Bottom