1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do i tell which rooster is older?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nicole, Jan 25, 2009.

1. nicole

nicole New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    We got 6 chicken's recently, 2 roosters and 4 hens. we realized early that one rooster was gonna have to be dinner, but which one? I was told to get rid of the older one, but have no idea which one is older, is it the most aggressive one? or is the weaker one getting too old? How does a person find out?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    post pictures and i am sure you will get some good feedback.

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Instead of going by age, why not go by temperment? Pick the one you like the best to keep. No to roosters are alike.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I agree. Keep the one that is the most well behaved. You'll be sorry if you end up keeping a mean rooster and sent the nice one packing simply because of age.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah keep the one with better attitude towards people and the hens.

One way to tell if a rooster is young or old is by looking at their legs. If the scales are very smooth, that is young. If the scales look sort of thick and not so smooth.. it's probably older(need to make distinction between normal older legs vs scaly leg mites though). Also the spur size can help- if the spurs never was filed or cut off or molted, on the older roosters the spurs are an inch long or longer. If there's no spur or just like a little bump, it's a very young one(year old or less).

6. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    You can tell by the spurs,the longer they are the older the roo. If it has been trimmed it will have a blunt tip and most likely be 2yrs or older

7. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    I'd pick the one that is nicer. I agree with the other people, I wouldn't want the nicest rooster to go just because he is older.

8. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    You can tell bye the size of there spears on the legs, that a great way on telling. [​IMG]

9. nicole

nicole New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    thank you for your responses they have been very helpfull, we are going to try taking the aggressive rooster out of the coop and letting the weaker one in for a while and see if his legs heal from being pecked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by