1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How do I tell who is laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hoog, May 17, 2010.

1. hoog

hoog Songster

I have eight hens four Artsrolops and four Buff Orpingtons. I am getting an average of about 4 eggs a day but I would like to know if any of the hens aren’t laying or aren't laying much. I was thinking of locking each one by herself in a rabbit cage that is 2'x4'x2' for a week and see what she lays. But then I have to worry about reintegration of the hen, don’t I?

How do I tell which chickens are laying eggs and how many eggs?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have heard of people using food dye or different coloured lipstick to find out who is lying..The dye or lippy is put around the vent- and when you collect eggs...you compare the colour transferred to the egg while being laid to the choock wearing the same colour...

3. CityGirlgoneCountryChick

CityGirlgoneCountryChick In the Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Marshall
    I have the same problem. I don't know which ones are laying and when.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    These sites might help you determine which are laying.

Pigment Color – Signs of Laying
    http://msucares.com/poultry/management/culling.html#id

Evaluating Egg Production
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/livestocksystems/DI1182.html

I don't find it quite as easy as these sites indicate, but they definitely do help. And just because a hen sits on a nest for a while does not mean she is actually laying. It is a great sign, but I've had several sit in a nest for a while, come off, and no egg.

5. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I go out and see who is on the nest and then keep checking and have caught almost all my birds laying so I know which girls lay what egg. it took a long time to catch them all laying because they lay at different times each day but so far I have my big girls figured out but my bantams lay the exact same looking egg I just know who laid because I caught them on the nest and know when they lay. I am a crazy chicken lady because I have went and sat in the coop and watched my girls lay their eggs they don't seem to mind and seem to enjoy when I pet them when they are on the nest. if you can't check on them through out the day then I guess the lipstick and kool ade idea would work not sure never tried it. good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: