How do I train my chickens to be ok with being caught/picked up during the day?

This is normal for a prey animal.
Is there a way for me to teach them that *I* am not a predator and they can relax when I reach for them?
Some of mine will tolerate being petted if they're up on something and I walk past but even the most docile birds don't like it when I reach down and take hold of them.

I agree with what others have said about some chickens being more agreeable to being picked up. But I have also noticed that the chicks go through phases much like some of our lambs and calves will. They are very open to all the cuddles and then start shying away. Eventually, as they mature, they will come back around.
Fingers crossed!

Since you do have a young rooster you need to be REALLY careful picking up hens in front of him. Especially when he’s an adolescent he may overreact if the hens squawk when you try to pick them up. You have a chance of turning him aggressive if he feels he has to protect his hens from you.

I personally would not take the risk. If a hen is really sick you will be able to pick her up during the day. For anything else you can wait until roost time.

Since you do have a young rooster you need to be REALLY careful picking up hens in front of him. Especially when he’s an adolescent he may overreact if the hens squawk when you try to pick them up. You have a chance of turning him aggressive if he feels he has to protect his hens from you.

I personally would not take the risk. If a hen is really sick you will be able to pick her up during the day. For anything else you can wait until roost time.
Really? I didn't know that could be a risk. At the moment my rooster is quite friendly, he gets regular cuddle time in the morning and evening. I'll heed your warning. I'll just see it as another good reason to train/teach my chickens to be more comfortable being handled.

Rooster chicks appear to be friendly and cuddly...but they are not like puppies or kittens. And people new to chickens often times misinterpret rooster behavior. They see a rooster approaching you without fear, as a good thing. 'He likes me!" That is not the case.

Chicken society is based on a pecking order and when two chickens meet, one is below and one is above. Cockerels being raised in a flock mate society are often much bigger much sooner than the pullets. They become bullies, nothing is bigger than THEM, and nothing dares to thump him back.

Often times the darling becomes the nightmare. He is not afraid of you, so you must be made afraid of him, and he will attack to make it so. A good rooster gives me 6 feet of space, naturally. I would not keep a rooster that would approach me. It is experience I have had over decades of chickens.

If you read on this forum, you will find numerous stories where the darling becomes the nightmare. These are not people who mistreated or teased or handled his hens. These almost always are confident chicks that appeared to love people and one moment became incredibly aggressive.

Which I realize you did not ask for advice at all.

What you asked was how did I train the hens to jump in my lap. I went to the run with a book, and sat there, did not talk, did not pet, did not reach for them. I dropped scratch when I left. Next day same game, but I threw the scratch away from me, and sat until they had ate it all. Third day, same game, toss the scratch a little closer to me. Next day, but this time, they are approaching me, BUT DON't reach for them. Just sit quietly, and after a few moments when they start to leave you, drop the scratch at your feet.

Do not ever try and catch them. Just sit and watch or read. Eventually one will jump in your lap. Some do so readily, some never do so, depends on the bird.

I would NOT DO THIS with a cockerel in the flock. IF you have small children be doubly aware of the cockerel, they tend to attack children first, then women, then men. Inexperienced people often times vastly underestimates the violence of a cockerel.

MrsK

While this is good advice im sure this isn’t quite what the OP was looking for, definitely not how to train your chickens, if anything will make them more skittish.

Might as well start training the hens now instead of waiting til the rooster gets old and him used to never picking up the hens.

Is there a way for me to teach them that *I* am not a predator and they can relax when I reach for them?
Yes. There is. My chickens love snuggles and will hop into my lap for it.

Heres what you need to do.

Start young (good to know for next time, handle them being chicks if possible.)
Spend time with them. Sitting in the coop or out in the yard just talking gently, even that makes progress.

Slowly, allow them to eat out of your hand and begin touching them. Eventually start picking them up.

Rooster chicks appear to be friendly and cuddly...but they are not like puppies or kittens. And people new to chickens often times misinterpret rooster behavior. They see a rooster approaching you without fear, as a good thing. 'He likes me!" That is not the case.

Chicken society is based on a pecking order and when two chickens meet, one is below and one is above. Cockerels being raised in a flock mate society are often much bigger much sooner than the pullets. They become bullies, nothing is bigger than THEM, and nothing dares to thump him back.

Often times the darling becomes the nightmare. He is not afraid of you, so you must be made afraid of him, and he will attack to make it so. A good rooster gives me 6 feet of space, naturally. I would not keep a rooster that would approach me. It is experience I have had over decades of chickens.

If you read on this forum, you will find numerous stories where the darling becomes the nightmare. These are not people who mistreated or teased or handled his hens. These almost always are confident chicks that appeared to love people and one moment became incredibly aggressive.

Which I realize you did not ask for advice at all.

What you asked was how did I train the hens to jump in my lap. I went to the run with a book, and sat there, did not talk, did not pet, did not reach for them. I dropped scratch when I left. Next day same game, but I threw the scratch away from me, and sat until they had ate it all. Third day, same game, toss the scratch a little closer to me. Next day, but this time, they are approaching me, BUT DON't reach for them. Just sit quietly, and after a few moments when they start to leave you, drop the scratch at your feet.

Do not ever try and catch them. Just sit and watch or read. Eventually one will jump in your lap. Some do so readily, some never do so, depends on the bird.

I would NOT DO THIS with a cockerel in the flock. IF you have small children be doubly aware of the cockerel, they tend to attack children first, then women, then men. Inexperienced people often times vastly underestimates the violence of a cockerel.

MrsK
This is very serious and i’ve had many large roosters so i agree, but i cant help but chuckle because my foot tall rooster is sitting here on my lap sounding like a woman on helium or a dog squeak toy. He’s so wimpy i love him.

Back
Top Bottom