How do I use the DE?? Please some one HELP?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kbreak, Dec 30, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I am new to chickens. My coop is on the ground. We added a little straw under the roost. Tomorrow I am gonna put down pine shavings and DE. How do I do it? Do I need to rake out the poop and straw that is in there now or can I leave that? Can I just sprinkle the DE on top then add the shavings then mix it all up ? Have no clue what I am doing. Need advice on how to do it.

2. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    You can leave everything in. Add the shavings and sprinkle it in. A little goes along way. Give it a little mix. Suggest you wear a mask while using it.

3. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Can I sprinkle DE just on the ground in the run without covering?

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Yes, you can. I use a big spoon to sprinkle it around. Just make sure you are using food grade DE. [​IMG]

5. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Quote:Yes, you can. I use a big spoon to sprinkle it around. Just make sure you are using food grade DE. [​IMG]

I haven't read on it but it was with the chicken supplies.
    Thank you for your advice !!

6. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:Why do you need DE? *NEED* it? Do you have a specific problem you are trying to address? or did you simply read that folks have posted that they use it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by