How do I vaccinate for Marek’s?

LosOsosChick

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
Los Osos
We are incubating Modern Game, American Game, and Silkie eggs and I would like to vaccinate for Marek’s when the new chicks emerge. Our local vet does not vaccinate chicks, but she recommended that I can order the vaccine online. Problem is that apparently the vaccine is only good for about an hour after it’s been reconstituted, and we’ll have chicks hatching on different days. What to do? If you vaccinate your new chicks, can you advise me as to how you go about it? TIA!!

0.2 ml sub q, day old chicks. I would consult the maker of the vaccine. By the way, I live in Indiana, I see your Los Osos chick, would that be Cali? My Mother in Law lives in Morro Bay, CA

I would wait for everyone to hatch and then do it then.

How staggered are the hatches? I think 24 hrs of age is not extremely strict.... You can vaccinate on day 2 or 3 as long as they haven't been exposed to outdoors. This includes dirty hands/clothes.

I am not familiar with the Marek's vaccine.

I can tell you that my state vet recommends purchasing the vaccine from these people though:
https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies...id=574&zenid=4e79049316351cf045bdacacdb42f04a

I was just looking for info on this 'one hour' time frame and I am not seeing that.
:confused:
I think she meant that as a live virus vaccine, it has a limited viability after it’s prepared. Not sure though, since I’ve never done this before, so any advice is appreciated!

I would wait for everyone to hatch and then do it then.

How staggered are the hatches? I think 24 hrs of age is not extremely strict.... You can vaccinate on day 2 or 3 as long as they haven't been exposed to outdoors. This includes dirty hands/clothes.
This makes a lot of sense! I have one clutch hatching a good week before the rest of them. I wonder if waiting a week before vaccinating the first chicks would be too long. :confused:

This makes a lot of sense! I have one clutch hatching a good week before the rest of them. I wonder if waiting a week before vaccinating the first chicks would be too long. :confused:

I would do 2 vaccinations then. Wait for everyone in batch 1 to hatch, vaccinate and discard remaining vaccine. Then, using a fresh vaccine bottle, vaccinate batch 2 the following week when they are done hatching. Vaccinate as soon as you can once everyone in the batch is hatched.

Again I think 3 days of age would be the limit. Maybe ask a veterinarian...

Of course the best possible thing would be to buy about 7 or 8 bottles of Mareks Vaccine ($$$) and make up one batch per each day that chicks hatch. That way you can guarantee each chick gets vaccinated before the 24hrs of age.

Personally I am hatching chicks next week and I was planning on only buying 1 bottle of vaccine. Now that I've written this post I'm thinking 2 bottles is probably best... No guarantee everyone will hatch on the due date!

Tha
I would do 2 vaccinations then. Wait for everyone in batch 1 to hatch, vaccinate and discard remaining vaccine. Then, using a fresh vaccine bottle, vaccinate batch 2 the following week when they are done hatching. Vaccinate as soon as you can once everyone in the batch is hatched.

Again I think 3 days of age would be the limit. Maybe ask a veterinarian...

Of course the best possible thing would be to buy about 7 or 8 bottles of Mareks Vaccine ($$$) and make up one batch per each day that chicks hatch. That way you can guarantee each chick gets vaccinated before the 24hrs of age.

Personally I am hatching chicks next week and I was planning on only buying 1 bottle of vaccine. Now that I've written this post I'm thinking 2 bottles is probably best... No guarantee everyone will hatch on the due date!
That make sense! I’ll look into getting two bottles to vaccinate each clutch separately. I appreciate the guidance!!

Back
Top Bottom