How Do Know??????????????? 6 Giant Chicks...... Help!

bamadominaker

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Honoraville, Alabama
I purchased 6 NJ giants Saturday, made a tote into their brroder, added heat lamp, etc. They ate 3 feeder full of starter Sunday, and they are all pretty happy. I turned the lamp off last night to sleep, they seemed to be fine it was around 82 in the house. This morning everyone seemed refreshed and happy. Fresh water and starter, should I leave it in all day and night? I am so confused. I picked up one of my chicks and noticed a big lump on the side of her neck; should I be worried? She is the smallest one in the group, but she eats all the time. They are pecking at little knats flying outside their home, they have wing feathers and act like they are ready to fly. I do't know how old they are but they are feathering out. So, how warm should I keep them. Everything a new mommie needs to know. My 2 hens and roo are doing great, by the way.

Thanks for any help,
Aimie

Sorry for the double post, computer acting crazy.

Last edited:
Keep clean water and food in there at all times. I have to change my 6 chicks water like four or five times a day because they kick shavings into it.

Don't worry about the lump; that's just the crop and it's how they digest their food.

Chicks begin to feather out almost immediately. I would treat them as if they were just a few days old when you got them, which means keep them warm for a month or so.

In a couple weeks you can take them into the yard for a half hour of freeranging... they won't run away!

Pattycake,

Thanks for the advice, they are so much different than the grown ups. But like a human baby, I did notice that every couple of hours they had shavings in their water all the time. I just didn't want to kill them, I can be smoothering myself. My DH told the DD and myself to leave them alone and stopping picking them up or we would give them something
lau.gif
, so i put one of them on the couch between us. He said she will poop on the couch
ep.gif
and she did.
gig.gif
Anyway, thanks so much I'll try not to worry. I know they came in a week ago today to the FS, so they are at least a week old. I will try to get some pictures and get them on here. My DH hogs the home computer so I try to do most of my stuff at work.

love.gif
:love one day all the DH will
love.gif
love.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
D.gif
as much as we do.

I agree, they need food and water all the time, just like real chickens
wink.png
They also need that light on all the time; no lights out for sleeping! At a week old, they should be about 100 degrees all the time (dropping to 95 in a week, then 90 after another week, etc), with hopefully a cooler area to move to if they prefer. They'll sleep fine with the light on.

I personally don't change the water for shavings, just if they poop in it. Mind you this is still changing it several times a day, but you will go crazy worrying about shavings in the water. Pretty soon these babies will start to eat and drinl like there is no tomorrow, and will grow so fast you cannot believe it! How exciting!

Tvtaber,

Thanks, now I know to leave everything on. The DH is the one concerned about the light, I'm concerned about the chicks. He still saying they are for food. Don't get attached they are just chickens. So, I guess we will see who really rules the roost.
gig.gif
gig.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Thanks for all the help,
Aimie

JG will grow and grow and grow - they are beautiful chickens!

Definately keep the light on 24 hrs - if the light seems too bright, then use a red bulb rather than a white one. As long as they have one end of the brooder to 'escape' to if the heat is too high, they will be fine and will regulate their own temps.

They need to be around 90 deg the first week, 85 the second, 80 the third, etc.

The lump is their crop full of food - no worries there...and keep the food and water in there all times.

They will make a mess of the water. Once they all know where it is, you can use a board, upsidee down bowl, or something else similar to raise the water a little bit - just about head level as they grow - and that will help a little as far as keeping the shavings out.

Enjoy them!

Back
Top Bottom