1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do people keep over 30 chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wednesday, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Wednesday

Wednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Oviedo, FL
    I have read people on here that have a tons of chickens. How is a flock that size managed? Do you free range? Build tons of coops and runs? Inquiring minds want to know:)

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Both. Some of my birds are free ranged, and I have a number of coops and pens and more in the making.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I do both as well. My confined birds have comparatively a lot of space per bird and are either kept singly of in pairs most of time. The free-ranged birds are kept in groups numbering not more than 30 individuals per group with roost spaced out so groups can be encouraged to have largely non-overlapping areas to forage. Even with a single free-range flock, I invest considerable effort ensuring they have adequate cover and properly managed pasture so the can get out and find eats. Going the free-range option you can greatly reduce feed requirements but predator management either becomes more intensive or losses to predators increases.

4. Wednesday

Wednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Oviedo, FL
    This chicken business is anything but easy :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Chickens are fairly easy to manage. I free-range but I prefer large runs. We have lots of coops. Haha, yeah I understand ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by