How do raccoons get in coops and pens to kill?

Ok, here's a picture of the spring loaded hooks we use. Hope this helps...we bought them here in WI at Menards...
12705_014.jpg

Quote:
Our family was vacationing with a trailer, staying in various state parks. Racoons broke into our trailer and got the lid off the peanutbutter jar. It had been stuck on so hard that neither of my parents had been able to get the lid off. That should tell you something about their strength, dexterity, and determination. Those racoons had probably learned about trailers as buffets. Hopefully yours won't learn about your chickens.

Thanx, go-veggie, just got back inside.

This is how I use one to completely flummox coons:
latch1.jpg

I should have said bend (not twist) the shank. I twist the slide around to get it to move. The big chunk of limestone leans against the bottom of the closed door, as well. I just used the vise and a pair of pliers to bend it until it worked for me and not for the coons.

This was what the raccoon was peeling the shingles from.
FtChook0508.jpg

Last edited:
Alaskan, welcome! And thanks. They have their own shed and go in on their own in the evening. We are on lockdown every night. We are located at the head of the three largest streams draining two counties all dumping into the Missouri River. The preds use the drainages as highways and all roads lead here...

Quote:
Our family was vacationing with a trailer, staying in various state parks. Racoons broke into our trailer and got the lid off the peanutbutter jar. It had been stuck on so hard that neither of my parents had been able to get the lid off. That should tell you something about their strength, dexterity, and determination. Those racoons had probably learned about trailers as buffets. Hopefully yours won't learn about your chickens.

Oh I can believe that. They are not called the bandits for nothing.

If and when they find my girls....they will only get one shot at breaking in. I love making raccoon skin hats...davey crockett style. LOL (Actually I hate making them but will if they are after my girlies)

I sent some of this to DH who think s that I am over exaggerating raccoons and being over protective.

So far he has not written back.

I still need to hardware cloth the vents in the shed.. they are up really high, I know he will say they cannot reach them.. but I would rather be safe than sorry! For all I know... they will come in a group of six and stand on each other's shoulders to reach the air vents and break in that way. I would not hold it past the little bandits! lol!

Back
Top Bottom