How do these stone columns work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickygirl2, Apr 9, 2009.

1. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    I have never seen anything like this. This is a picture straight from an ebay auction in AZ for marans. Why would you make columns like this? Wouldn't they tend to fall over?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Well from the looks of the terrain they don't have any trees. Maybe it is too expensive to get wood over there? It is a desert, after all. I'm really not sure how well they would stand up. Around here we wrap rocks like that with a layer of lanscape cloth around it and put them in trenches and bury them (cheap mans culvert:>) for drainage or culverts

Those ones in the picture must be buried to a certain point to keep them standing

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think it's kinda neat. I have a new yard art idea now-thanks.

Imp- has lots of rocks

4. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Nothing personal, just my opinion..but I hate those things! [​IMG]

We live in Central Tx(Waco area) and most of the land around us in nothing but rock. If your only digging 4 inches or less, then you are fine, its dirt. But anything after the 4in its 98% rock. So I see a LOT of these 'pillars' around farms and things. Everyone uses them. I guess since its so cheap, just a matter of digging it out of your yard, its basically free. Ive seen people use them for everything! Fences, walkway paths(yes in smaller pillars), mailbox holders, etc. You name it and people around here do it.

I dont know how you go about sitting it up correctly. If its a special way of stacking it or something, but they always seem to stay up. They definitely last a while! [​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have seen them in many places, they seem to be gaining in popularity.

AL

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    That is really interesting. We see a lot of those in SW Missouri, but they're generally a lot wider. I can't figure out how they're getting those narrow ones to stand up.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:These are wrapped in wire, possibly mortared but not nessasarily.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were a t-post at the heart of each one.

I think they look cool [​IMG] Then again, they aren't everywhere here... I can see thinking differently if they're common as dirt.

Pat

9. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they look very pretty especially in a chicken coop type setting, but then again I have never seen anything like that around here. If all your neighbors have them then I bet they aren't nearly as appealing.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You know what, the more I look at that... we have vast amounts of small glacial-till rocks around here, of attractively varied colors... I am sorely tempted to build something like that myself. T-post inside, wire to wrap the stones. Up here, that would be kind of *cool*, I think [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by