How do they do it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by porkchop48, Nov 21, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I left yesterdays eggs in the coop yesterday ( still trying to bribe some one to go broody)

There was 1-2 eggs in 4 nest. Today when I get home i notice all the eggs have been moved to one nest?

How do they do that? They have to go over a lip about 2 inches tall, cross a perch/ roost and into the next nest box?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    There was a thread about that a while back. Seems sometimes they can actually tuck an egg under a wing and move it that way. No kidding.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I think a cam is required. I need to see this.

4. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I don't know how they do it but they do !! I have a hen they was sitting. She was free ranged and had them in the woods. We had gotten alot of rain from a hurricane. I walked out my back door and there were 12 eggs laying in a little circle. She had to of carried those eggs up a hill probably 50 ft or more. This was our first experience with chickens. We thinking we were helping moved the eggs into a pet carrier and made a nest. She quit sitting. It was sad. She stayed on her roost all day the next day . After all her hard work we messed it up. A few weeks after that she started again laying every day at the base of a tree by our dog pen. She stayed with the eggs and we didn't touch. She hatched out 6 of 11 eggs. After a couple of days she got off the nest and would keep the babies around the tree. We caught her and the babies at night and put her in a large pet taxi. My husband built a small run 3x7 and thats where they are. I love it !! I have them by my back porch. I want to try and get an incubator and raise some. As for now, my husband built a coop and run and got 6 chickens plus 2 bantams that free range (scared to death of us) and my hen and 6 babies. Never thought I would get excited over chickens.

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    There was a picture awhile back of someone's hen moving the eggs tucked right under her chin- int he neck area. They are amazing creatures!

6. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    They really are amazing. I thought my husband was playing a trick on me and he thought i had done. But when we were both standing in the pouring rain to fix a nest we knew it was no joke. She has made the best little momma !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by