How do Turkeys Lay their Eggs?

Crazybirdlady46

Chirping
Jun 14, 2019
Batesburg SC
I walked out to check on my new turkeys last night and low and behold I now have a turkey egg. Love it. I now get goose, duck, chicken, guinea, and bonus turkey eggs. I do have a question. Do turkeys lay like chickens or how?

I walked out to check on my new turkeys last night and low and behold I now have a turkey egg. Love it. I now get goose, duck, chicken, guinea, and bonus turkey eggs. I do have a question. Do turkeys lay like chickens or how?
Turkeys are seasonal layers, normally laying from spring through fall unless they are allowed to go broody. If allowed to hatch and raise poults they may be done laying for the year after one clutch of eggs being laid.

Individual turkeys may lay as frequently as one egg per day while others may only lay an egg every other day. Some may lay an egg two or three days in a row before taking a day off.

Turkeys are seasonal layers, normally laying from spring through fall unless they are allowed to go broody. If allowed to hatch and raise poults they may be done laying for the year after one clutch of eggs being laid.

Individual turkeys may lay as frequently as one egg per day while others may only lay an egg every other day. Some may lay an egg two or three days in a row before taking a day off.
Do they need a nesting box like chickens when they hatch eggs and when they do does the Jake need to be removed.

Do they need a nesting box like chickens when they hatch eggs and when they do does the Jake need to be removed.
Some turkeys will lay in a nest box if the box is big enough to accommodate them. Some will hide their nests out like guineas like to. Some will make use of a pallet leaned up against a wall for their nest site.

Once a hen goes broody, it is best that the tom not have access to her. A tom will take the fact that the hen is lying down as an invitation to breed. The unwanted breeding attempts can result in broken eggs, an injured or even a dead hen.

The tom can be removed from the pen or a cage can be built around the nest site with an opening large enough that the hen can fit through it but small enough that the tom cannot fit through.

Some turkeys will lay in a nest box if the box is big enough to accommodate them. Some will hide their nests out like guineas like to. Some will make use of a pallet leaned up against a wall for their nest site.

Once a hen goes broody, it is best that the tom not have access to her. A tom will take the fact that the hen is lying down as an invitation to breed. The unwanted breeding attempts can result in broken eggs, an injured or even a dead hen.

The tom can be removed from the pen or a cage can be built around the nest site with an opening large enough that the hen can fit through it but small enough that the tom cannot fit through.
Thank you so very much for your help

Back
Top Bottom