How do u train your puppy NOT to chase chickens?

Your puppy is being a puppy, he should be supervised when around the chickens, so that behavior can be corrected instantly. Perferably on leash or a long check line. Give him a sharp tug (he should have a buckle collar on, he is too young for a choker at this stage) and a sharp "leave it" and then as soon as he turns his attention away, instantly praise, lots of good boys, yeah, make it lots of fun!! Consistency is the key, short lessons a couple times a day, maybe only 5-10 minutes each, if you can.

Seven weeks is way to young for a shock collar and I am sure there is a warning on them not to use on dogs that age. You will ruin him if you try it that young. Shock collars have there place, but should be used for dogs that traditional methods don't work for, that are already grown and hard core. They should also be used under the direction of a trainer or someone who knows what they are doing. I have seen more dogs ruined by people who don't have a clue, then helped. Usually the dog has to be put down because it because so aggressive because these idiots shock it for every little thing and with no training to go with it, the dog has no idea why or when the shocks will come next. It makes them nuts!

I have also seen people use it responsibly and have great results, but not at that age, only on adult dogs.

I'll share with you the advice that Brindle shared with me and it has worked most excellently.
Jax (5 mo. old GSD) was forever harrassing the cats in the house. Brindle told me to make a shake can. We filled an empty coke can with a couple handfuls of pennies. Then wrapped the whole thing in duct tape.
The first couple of times Jax harrassed the cats after that, we hollered LEAVE 'EM! and nailed Jax with the can. Only had to nail him with the can a few times, then we only had to shake it to make him stop. Now he leaves the cats alone, period. Don't even have to use the can.
Since yesterday Jax has decided to chase the chickens. We were already using a drag line outside, but Jax is too fast for me. Brindle suggested the shake can outside (in addition to the drag line).
Jax saw me pick the can up before we went outside. I could see that he wanted to chase the chickens. It was clear in his eyes, but he kept looking back at me and that dreaded can. He didn't try to chase the chickens at all.
I'm going to keep using the can until it's clear that he knows the chickens are off limits.
Works fast, works great. Love the shake can. We've also never let him sniff the can or figure out what it is, because if we did he'd lose his fear of it.
Our next option was a shock collar. Glad it hasn't come to that.

Hope it was okay I shared this Brindle.
smile.png
(and that I got it right!)

I just sprayed mine with the hose everytime they went at the ducks. I have labs and the youngest two wanted to chase them. If I saw them go after them, they got hosed. Now, they'll walk near them to eat the poop, but they know that if they chase them, they're going to get wet and not in any fun way.

Back
Top Bottom