how do you all buy just a few chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ericz, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ericz

ericz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    media pa
    howdy all,

i want to get six female chicks for january or at the latest mid-february delivery, but every hatchery i have looked at has minimum order of 15 or 20 or 25.

ideal poultry will include RIR males for warmth, but then i am stuck with having to find a home for them later.

what do you all do when you just want to order a few chicks? specifically i am wanting to get 2 barred rocks, two australorps and two black sex-links.

thanks in advance,

-eric

2. Stark

Stark Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    My suggestions would be to find local breeders, take your chances with the local feed store (if they have chicks that time of year), or try to find other locals who want to order chicks and combine your orders.

3. Blue Ninja

Blue Ninja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Try Meyer Hatchery or My Pet Chicken.[​IMG]

4. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    just buy a few

5. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Eric,

MyPetChicken.com will ship as few as three chicks provided you are not too far from a major post office. The chicks are nicely priced but the postage can be a bit expensive. Makes them out to be about ten dollar per bird if I recall. Other options may be share with a buddy or find a BYC member near you that sells chicks. Also you could wait til srping and check out the local feed store. ( I know, ya want what ya want when ya want it--or at least I did, that's how I know this stuff)

Hope this helps. Good Luck

KimberlyJ

6. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I think minimum order for Meyer hatchery is 3.

7. RoosterRanch

RoosterRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Waverly WV
    Easiest way to buy just a few, is to go to Tractor Supply or some similar outlet during chick season. Usually in late FEB or early March. You can buy just poults ( if the children have not mixed up the bins) or whatever you wish. Hope this helps.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2

9. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Quote:x2

X3

I got 4 from My Pet Chicken, all four got here healthy and all are pullets, i was pleased, check out the site.

10. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Wait for TSC to get the chicks in, then there local, and you can have em home in a short time.
    I have seen all these breeds you want there come spring...... I bought 6 chicks from them last spring 3 EE 3 BLACK SEXLINKS, ALL ARE DOING GREAT....... had no trouble with any of these, but my order of 20 from the hatchery was messed up, and took 2 months to fix, and I had a whole lota birds I didn't order or want, plus I had 43 total after the fix it job and 34 were roosters...... If I had not decided to to pick up chicks at TSC I would have hardly any hens.........

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by